What's new

Travel Looking for information about possible future holiday in Japan

Belkov

Kouhai
8 Jun 2023
I had got fired up about taking a holiday to Japan last year but for a number of reasons I have decided to wait a year or two until I actually consider going.

I have just viewed a number of YouTube clips from both Westerners living in Japan and Japanese people that was recently posted that I had felt was a lot different from the YouTube clips about Japan that I had viewed previously and were uploaded pre-pandemic. Compared to the newer ones, I feel now that the older YouTube clips were very positive, diplomatic and upbeat when touching on the cultural differences between Japanese people and foreigners. The impression I have gotten from the newer clips is that they are more honest and I think are more realistic.

The impression I have taken from the newer clips is that yes, I need to follow the social rules that are obvious like not queue jumping but also that I need to be a lot more quieter and be as non-threatening as possible. While non-threatening is probably not the best choice of words but while I am naturally quiet and to an extent laid-back, I have been told a few times that I can be, shall we say a bit forward with people when I get passionate about a subject so I can relate to the idea of how I can perceived by others in certain social situations. It could be that I'm reading too much into things or possibly that the YouTube English translations of the Youtube clips featuring Japanese people isn't nuanced where I am getting the wrong impression.

I was just wondering am I correct in saying that as somebody who could be visiting Japan in the near future that I need to find out more about the nuances of social etiquette so I am more comfortable with interacting with Japanese people?

It sounds like you've been viewing that one guys videos who interviews tourists and locals on the street.
I would say nothing's really changed much and don't worry about it. You'll probably have difficulty getting into a passionate discussion due to the language barrier. In any case, just be respectful and try to follow the etiquette you've read about. You don't need to overthink it.

Hi Belkov and welcome to the forum.

There are a number of YouTube videos entitled "Don't do this in Japan." Search for them on YouTube and take a look.

Just use common sense. For example don't climb on people's houses to do parkour uninvited.
1686170384968.png

I got the recent info from "TAKASHii from Japan" YouTube channel and others from a Do's and Don't in Japan search on that site.

This YouTube stuff sounds like a mixture of fact and hyperbole in order to game the YouTube algorithms.

Thanks to all that posted. Common sense and the way things are going here at the moment, it's probably actually safer walking about in Japan :)

I got the recent info from "TAKASHii from Japan" YouTube channel and others from a Do's and Don't in Japan search on that site.

This YouTube stuff sounds like a mixture of fact and hyperbole in order to game the YouTube algorithms.

Thanks to all that posted. Common sense and the way things are going here at the moment, it's probably actually safer walking about in Japan :)
I had a feeling you had watched some of his videos. I've also seen a few and could see how you might have got that impression.

I had a feeling you had watched some of his videos. I've also seen a few and could see how you might have got that impression.
Youtube is great for getting lost in when falling down the rabbit hole of such diverse content but the bottom line is that content creators need to earn and to do that they are playing to the crowd.

Taking a step back from these YouTube clips and with the helpful comments I have got from yourself and others, I have got a more balanced perspective. I would say though that the YouTube stuff has made me think about what I would want to do when I visit Japan. It sounds great visiting the major attractions and then going to a few Izakaya's or possible a outdoor Ramen stall but would do I do in-between that?

For myself, I just like getting lost in a town or city, exploring it and for instance finding interesting building architecture which gives a glimpse of the history. I know there is places like Omoide Yokocho in Tokyo that is exactly that but it is great to just stumble into something similar that is not well known to tourists. At home for instance, I love getting the train over to Edinburgh and getting lost there doing the same thing. Therefore in between doing all the touristy things I can just wander about finding bits of Tokyo where I will most likely be visiting that isn't in the tourist guide. For that, it does focus the mind that I need to think about being aware of Japanese culture and social niceties in order to do that.

Taking a step back from these YouTube clips and with the helpful comments I have got from yourself and others, I have got a more balanced perspective. I would say though that the YouTube stuff has made me think about what I would want to do when I visit Japan. It sounds great visiting the major attractions and then going to a few Izakaya's or possible a outdoor Ramen stall but would do I do in-between that?

For myself, I just like getting lost in a town or city, exploring it and for instance finding interesting building architecture which gives a glimpse of the history. I know there is places like Omoide Yokocho in Tokyo that is exactly that but it is great to just stumble into something similar that is not well known to tourists. At home for instance, I love getting the train over to Edinburgh and getting lost there doing the same thing. Therefore in between doing all the touristy things I can just wander about finding bits of Tokyo where I will most likely be visiting that isn't in the tourist guide. For that, it does focus the mind that I need to think about being aware of Japanese culture and social niceties in order to do that.
Yes, exactly. Just explore. Get lost a little. All you have to do is walk around the next corner and take a look around. Or go to the park or a coffee shop with a window and sit and people watch for a while. One thing I love to do in Japan is have morning breakfast at a coffee shop. It's very cheap and good food and you can watch the hustle and bustle of the city at the start of your day. Of course visit some of the Y100 or Y500 shops. They have lots of little innovative things that are good for souvenirs or even day to day life. (Unlike $1 stores in the U.S. which are full of mostly useless crap.) Definitely check the schedule when you're there and try to find a local festival to check out. Walk around, buy and eat "food on a stick."

Back
Top Bottom