What's new

Looking for good small storage options as non-resident

HanSolo

Sempai
6 May 2015
Hi all,
Been a long time since I was around here, is it just me or a little quieter now? Jref helped me out quite a bit back in the day as I recall. Is Mike etc still knocking around here?

Anyway, a while back I lived in Japan but now I'm just a traveler. I do visit Japan frequently though, and what I'm looking for is small storage where I can leave some weight between visits.

I.e. as none of the other countries I spend any time in have cold winters, I want to leave any winter coats I have (or things related to skiing etc), plus various other things that I don't really want to carry around with me as I travel.

The requirements are basically:
  • It's small (i.e. locker size not room size) -- I could accept larger but wouldn't be ideal to waste money on a space 10x bigger than I need
  • The will accept non-residents, i.e. passport + credit card. Japan is usually especially paranoid around this stuff vs other countries, but for instance I found a full normal mobile voice+data SIM service for non-residents, so I'm sure there's other non-paranoid businesses out there. As an example for storage rental this excludes Quraz.
  • Perpetual contract (i.e. month by month)
  • City is not important, but ideally it would be the main airport hub cities (Tokyo / Osaka).
That's all, thanks folks

The will accept non-residents, i.e. passport + credit card. Japan is usually especially paranoid around this stuff vs other countries, but for instance I found a full normal mobile voice+data SIM service for non-residents, so I'm sure there's other non-paranoid businesses out there. As an example for storage rental this excludes Quraz.
Quraz only accept residents.

Welcome back, HanSolo.
How often do you expect to travel here, such that a monthly storage contract will help you? I ask only because overly frequent travel might look suspicious to immigration, not to mention the fact that it's not cheap for the average person to fly much.

I want to leave any winter coats I have (or things related to skiing etc), plus various other things
You wrote this yet said something "small (i.e. locker size not room size)". What sort of dimensions would be suitable as a minimum? I'm guessing no actual skis or poles, but you weren't clear.

This link is 10 years old, so I don't know how much help it is. Just typing in "monthly storage Japan" gave quite a few hits, but that link I just gave you said there aren't/weren't that many actual places.

Actually, there are a lot of professionals that are in and out often and the immo people can see that in a simple exchange of information because of them properly asking the questions that need asking. I trust the immo people are being properly trained. Or that can be dealt with, if they are not.

Those professions? Entertainment folks. Sports. And the regular business folks. And I'll bet there are more that can go on this list.

It is when you are in and out for no apparent reason that warning bells go off and the "Please come to this other room." starts for a person. And a lot of folks don't know that there are professionals you never see that are looking at pac lists that can spot the passenger that seems to have no apparent reason to be constantly getting on and off the planes. These days those law enforcement folks have some amazing software programs to help them and the regular folks in our various societies around the planet need to be kind of making sure those law enforcement types aren't going too far in their work. It is a terribly messy business for the good folks and hopefully a bad business for the bad folks.

Sorry, HanSolo, I kind of got carried away there, didn't I?

Doesn't appear I can reddit-style edit my OP, so I'll just tally findings in here as I come across them.

Data
QurazNo - passport unacceptable, needs residence
ReiseboxNo - passport unacceptable, needs residence

My guess is it's going to require a "less corporate" option, as they have a greater tendency of regulating / closing-off their services to a narrow and restrictive degree of "what's easiest and most comfortable for us". The difficulty in this is that big corporate options have the highest marketing budgets, so they'll drown out the small options in searches. Using their names as negative keywords in searches may help as I uncover them.

Back
Top Bottom