What's new

Looking for a host family in Japan

Arekussu

後輩
29 May 2019
Hi, my name is Alex, I have been studying japanese for three years and visited the country for two weeks in 2017.
I am looking for a family, anywhere in Japan, who would be happy to take me into their home for a 1 month homestay. I would prefer not to go through agencies because I am autistic, so I prefer the person to person aproach to make sure that the host family are happy to have me.
Anyone can give me a good contact?
Anyone out there interested in hosting me and earning a bit of extra cash?

Hi Alex, I'm not sure I recommend trying to do this in this way...

I think you are much better off having some kind of system with support in place, especially as you may need special consideration depending on where on the spectrum you lie. Getting a random stranger to open up their home with the promise of getting paid will probably not end well. There are all sorts of things that can go wrong in a homestay situation, and if the parties involved do not know how to communicate (for reasons beyond just the language barrier) and there's no support staff to help serve as a mediator, it can cause a whole lot of problems for both parties.

How old are you? Have you considered finding a language school with a homestay program (and good reviews), or looked into workaway, wwoofing, or other volunteer opportunities? You could also try couchsurfing for short stays, but i don't know how successful you'd be these days, and it would be a mistake to think of that as equivalent to homestay...

Hi Nice Gaijin,

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. I will investigate each one of them to see if I can find something suitable.

Regards

Arekussu

you're welcome sir, I wish you luck. Do stick around and keep us updated in this thread, and feel free to ask questions as they arise :)

Back
Top Bottom