What's new

Longest visa to stay in japan for non work or study purposes?

vu7

後輩
18 Sep 2018
Hi there, under which visa status can I stay in Japan for the longest period of time without securing a work or study visa as a US individual? Is the long-stay visa the longest possible option? (6 month of stay extendable for up to 1 year). Anything longer than that for non study or work purposes?

A possibility to consider , you might not like life in Japan. I was there for 2 years on a base with all branches of the military. I would say about 8 out of 10 guys hated Japan after about 3 months for many reasons. Learning the language enough to get around makes it more bearable but takes time and effort. I absolutely loved it for about a year and a half but then all the little irritations began to annoy me and I was ready to get back to the states. Many people do make a life there and are happy , but it's not for everyone.

If memory serves, the long-stay visa is for people who visit Japan for business purposes very frequently, and it is not for Americans. Haven't looked this up in ages, though. Got a link?

Otherwise, if you just want to hang out and sightsee, an American can come for 3 months. No visa needed.

People come here for 3 months, then either take the ferry from Shimonoseki , Yamaguchi ken to South Korea for one or 2 days then come back to Japan for another 3 months. Lots of people do that that have the money.

People come here for 3 months, then either take the ferry from Shimonoseki , Yamaguchi ken to South Korea for one or 2 days then come back to Japan for another 3 months. Lots of people do that that have the money.
Please note that a "visa hop" will likely flag you for questioning on subsequent trips. Bear in mind that their biggest concern is people working illegally.

A few years back, I had a 4-month trip planned. I left at day 90 and spent two weeks in Korea (visiting friends and climbing--I used to live there as well). I came back for the last two weeks of my trip without incident, but the next time I visited Japan about a year later, I was pulled aside and questioned more thoroughly about my travel history, even though i clearly wasn't doing it to "max out" my time in Japan.

@vu7, a lot of your posts have me thinking that maybe you just want to spend a lot of time in Japan, could you explain a bit more as to your plans, and why you are trying to live in Japan long-term as a tourist?

Please note that a "visa hop" will likely flag you for questioning on subsequent trips. Bear in mind that their biggest concern is people working illegally.

A few years back, I had a 4-month trip planned. I left at day 90 and spent two weeks in Korea (visiting friends and climbing--I used to live there as well). I came back for the last two weeks of my trip without incident, but the next time I visited Japan about a year later, I was pulled aside and questioned more thoroughly about my travel history, even though i clearly wasn't doing it to "max out" my time in Japan.

@vu7, a lot of your posts have me thinking that maybe you just want to spend a lot of time in Japan, could you explain a bit more as to your plans, and why you are trying to live in Japan long-term as a tourist?
I just wanna make it to Japan and live there for a year or two. If I can find a good job I'll probably stay there for an extended period of time. The issue is there isn't really a good way for an individual to stay in Japan for long term like one can do in Mexico or other countries. I probably need to save 30 million yen for the long term visa for sightseeing and recreations. What do you think any tips?

In Japan, one must obey the laws. And you don't have to even get caught by the cops to understand what I just typed out for you.
Japan has a really good "catch the illegal" system here.
But there are some farmers here that need help, so maybe that is one way to come. Someone posted the org. that helps put farmers with foreigners to help them on their farms and orchards.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom