What's new

Long-term residential visa

Thanks. "In principle". Seems there's some exceptions. I wonder how it would work for me. I was in Japan from 1998-2004 w/ working status. The last 6 months or so on a spouse. Moved away for 2 years. Came back at the end of 2006 and on a spouse visa since Spring. Also have a child now. Seems I should definitely wait until at least a full year on the visa has been fulfilled.

GaijinPunch,
You have already been in Japan for almost 7 years total and have a spouse visa. If you are in some hurry, apply now. If not, apply now anyway (or at least ask an immigration official if it seems better to wait until the next renewal on your spouse visa).

You have nothing to lose, really.

Well, first things first:
I just got a new passport (lost mine, like an idiot). I have to get my stamps reissued. Probably not the best time to ask for PR, no?

Funny , they gave me plenty of info when I asked them?
None of it in an official standing, and (knowing several senior embassy staff personally) they are not supposed to be doing it.
The Australian Embassy said:
Please note the Australian Embassy Tokyo cannot advise on Japanese visa matters or visa requirements for Australians travelling to other countries from Japan. For Japanese visa requirements, please contact Japanese Immigration. For visa requirements for other countries, please contact the relevant Embassy.
http://www.consular.australia.or.jp/

"Americans in the Tokyo area with visa questions should contact Japanese Immigration authorities directly."

I think that is pretty clear.

Back
Top Bottom