What's new

Travel News Life-size Gundam moving in Yokohama Port

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
I wasn't sure whether to file this under "Tech" or "Travel": the life-size Gundam robot at Yamashita Pier had a test run last week, stretching his arms and legs for the first time. Pretty impressive. Tickets for December are already sold out under the strict reservation system: 1,650 JPY (adults and children over 13 years of age), and access to the special observation deck is steep at 3,300 JPY.

The 18-meter-tall, 25-ton movable model finally got to stretch its arms and legs in public when it showed off its moves at a media preview on Nov. 30 at Yamashita Pier in Yokohama Port. The Gundam exhibition will be open to the public from Dec. 19 through the end of March 2022, giving fans a chance to experience the lifelike, moving Gundam model up close. The movable robot is the centerpiece of the Gundam Factory Yokohama project, a collaboration of Bandai Namco Group, the city of Yokohama and other organizations. It's part of the celebration of the 40th anniversary of the popular animated TV series "Mobile Suit Gundam."

Looks pretty awesome! Have never watched Gundam myself but I enjoyed watching the one in Odaiba years ago. Wasn't moving but the size of it was just amazing.

Fans are flocking to Yamashita Pier to witness the life-size Gundam robot in action one last time before the captivating exhibition concludes on 31 March.

During its final weeks, the exhibition features thrilling sequences from Gundam's most beloved past programs, showcasing the iconic robot alongside its timeless theme music. Standing at an impressive 18 meters tall, this colossal creation was unveiled in December 2020 as part of the Mobile Suit Gundam series' 40th anniversary celebration. The Gundam Factory Yokohama project has drawn over 1.5 million visitors. Originally slated to end in March 2022, the exhibition was extended due to fervent requests from fans who missed out during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Gundam robot at Yamashita Pier

Back
Top Bottom