What's new

Question Legal aspects of childbirth

4 Apr 2014
It is a sensitive topic, but there is a serious life decision i have to make in a couple of years, so i`d really appreciate if anyone could provide me with information i need to make the right decision.

Are parents obligated to raise a child post-birth in Japan? In some countries parents have a right to "waive" a child at maternity hospital, in which case the child is raised at social institutions and is registered in adoption bank. In many cases there are some requirements to qualify for such "waiver" such as low income, single parent, birth defects and such. I asked around and apparently in Japan parents are legally obliged to raise a child once it`s born. And judging from regular news of new-born babies found at parking lots and at residential entrances - that is the case.

While it is natural to resort to an abortion if such circumstances are known in advance, some disabilities and birth defects only become apparent after the childbirth. What choices do parents have in such situation?

Apparently many adults both male and female are afraid of having a child due to such obligations however tiny a chance of birth defects may be.

Are parents obligated to raise a child post-birth in Japan? In some countries parents have a right to "waive" a child at maternity hospital, in which case the child is raised at social institutions and is registered in adoption bank. In many cases there are some requirements to qualify for such "waiver" such as low income, single parent, birth defects and such.

In most jurisdictions, giving up parental rights and duties at birth is tied to very strict requirements that aim - first and foremost - at child welfare. I would assume and expect that congenital disabilities do not constitute a legitimate reason to relinquish those duties.

Some related read-up provided by MOFA:

What choices do parents have in such situation?
It seems like they can't relinquish their obligations so I guess the only choice is to try to utilize any help from the government they can get.
It also might explain why you see the occasional murder-suicide stories of people in this situation. Usually it seems to be when the disabled person is an adult and the parent realizes they are going to outlive their adult child.

Back
Top Bottom