What's new

Leaving Japan

Lynott4

Registered
22 Jan 2017
I've been here for about five years, and decided that this will be my last year in Japan. Before I leave in December I've a lot to do, and I had some questions regarding costs.
1: What's the best way to ship my belongings overseas? I don't mind if it takes a few months, I'm mostly trying to save money.
2: My phone contract renews this Autumn. If I leave in December, is it worth it to continue the contract til then, or would I be better off getting a prepaid phone for the last few months. How much would it cost to cancel a smartphone contract befote I leave?
3: I'm moving out of a Leopalace. In people's experience, how much notice should I give them before leaving. What sort of checks or costs are involved?
4: Finally my biggest issue: residence tax. The new bills will be issued in July. As I'm leaving Japan, do I need to pay them? What if I don't? Will they hunt me down for payment? It's an awful lot of money, and I'll be moving to a different country almost immediately. I'd rather not throw it down the drain.
Thanks for any advice you can give.

1. Completely depends on what you need to move. I looked into this recently for sending a bunch of stuff and the cost was pretty high (200,000 for about 20 - 25 boxes of items to Vietnam).

2. You really need to check on this with your current provider. No one really knows what is in your contract besides you.

3. Again, this should be in your contract.

4. This is not throwing money down a drain, it is paying your appropriate way in life as an adult. It concerns me that you are considering running out on your responsibilities.

4: Finally my biggest issue: residence tax. The new bills will be issued in July. As I'm leaving Japan, do I need to pay them? What if I don't? Will they hunt me down for payment? It's an awful lot of money, and I'll be moving to a different country almost immediately. I'd rather not throw it down the drain.

And finally, you suggest here that you're going to run and cheat on the taxes you owe, leaving a blot on everyone else's reputation?

And you have the balls to ask about this, after you've asked otherwise good people for other advice? I truly hope that you don't get any responses on your first three points.

My opinion: Yes, you need to pay them. Yes, they will hunt you down, and I will help them if asked. No, it's not money down the drain--it's your fair share for having had the personal safety, quality of life, your job, and, if you had needed it, competent medical treatment at fair prices. (No, residence tax doesn't pay your medical bills, but if you've been a teacher, that tax may have supported your job, collected your gomi, etc.)

It's a rumor, but from what I've heard, your pension refund will be blocked entirely if you haven't paid your taxes. :angelic: ;)

So pay up, and leave in good standing.

Last edited:
I've been here for about five years, and decided that this will be my last year in Japan.

Thank you for leaving. Based on #4, you're the kind of gaijin the rest of us are better off without.

Pay your taxes. Pay your bills. Pay your rent. Take back your overdue library books.

The only reason I'm asking about the taxes is because they're a good Y50000 a month for me. That's a helluva lot of money to pay if I don't have to and if you couldn't tell from my post, I'm trying to save as much as possible.
As regards my other questions, they were entirely reasonable and I wanted advice from people who have been through this before. If you've got nothing constructive or useful to say, feel free to move on to the next thread.

The only reason I'm asking about the taxes is because they're a good Y50000 a month for me.

Which means you're making good money. Pay your fair share, instead of asking for "constructive" suggestions for how to cheat on your taxes, and at the same time sh!tting on everyone else.

1. Completely depends on what you need to move. I looked into this recently for sending a bunch of stuff and the cost was pretty high (200,000 for about 20 - 25 boxes of items to Vietnam).

2. You really need to check on this with your current provider. No one really knows what is in your contract besides you.

3. Again, this should be in your contract.

4. This is not throwing money down a drain, it is paying your appropriate way in life as an adult. It concerns me that you are considering running out on your responsibilities.
1. I'm not sending much really, just maybe some books and clothes. Was that just by surface mail, or with a moving service.
Which means you're making good money. Pay your fair share, instead of asking for "constructive" suggestions for how to cheat on your taxes, and at the same time sh!tting on everyone else.
I WAS making good money... last year. Unfortunately I had to change companies and despite my experience, was pushed right back down to 250,000円 per month.

1. I'm not sending much really, just maybe some books and clothes. Was that just by surface mail, or with a moving service.
You can contact one of the various moving companies. KuroNeko will come to your house and give you an estimate if you like, others will let you do an online inventory of what you need to send. The rate I quoted was for door to door service.

Here's Japan Post's page on sending internationally:

料金・日数を調べる - 日本郵便

Much cheaper. For the books, as long as it is only printed matter, there is a lower rate.

English site: International Parcel Post - Japan Post

Back
Top Bottom