What's new

Learning on a budget?

TrentT

Registered
17 Nov 2015
Hi
I don't have enough money to afford a teacher that will help me speak fluently. Would I be able to learn grammar and pronunciation through textbook studying and watching Japanese movies? If not, is there some other way of learning that would be effective in the long run, and cheap for myself?
Thanks

Lots of people do that. Just make sure you're using a textbook and not a reference book. Also get the accompanying workbooks and audio materials.

I mostly learnt by myself in this way. There are plenty of online resources to explain grammar, that's not usually the issue. One of the hardest parts is getting the difference between the way you think something "should" be pronounced (all vowel sounds clear, no syllables merged together etc.) and the way people actually speak.

Try listening to audio materials and reading the transcript simultaneously to pick up these differences. e.g. if you have a textbook with a CD, read as you listen.

Essentially the more exposure you can get to native speakers the better, whether that's in real life or watching tv.

I just wrote some more advice for ways to learn Japanese by yourself without spending money on my blog if you're interested, to save me retyping it all here.
8 tips for learning Japanese free by yourself outside Japan | ジョジーナ

If you don't want to spend money on textbooks, try checking your local library for resources?

Back
Top Bottom