What's new

Learn Japanese thru Ads

Wow, interesting!!
Good idea, Harvey, I liked it. 👍
It has detail English translations and vocab list so that I can pick up new English words and phrases from your blog.
I bookmarked it.

And about the ad itself, looks like it's exactly what I'd need. :p

Cue

P.S. I wanted to leave a comment on your blog, but I hesitate to leave my email address... Can you do something about accepting posts without email addresses, please?

Thanks for the vote of confidence!
I have removed the email addy requirement for posting!

Let me know if you have any other suggestions to make it better!

Thank YOU!

So, you live in Osaka?
Have you seen "Chikan Akan!" posters at the subway stations...? :LOL:

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Cue

Actually I was in Osaka for 2 years, but I'm back in Yokohama now. I'm in Osaka again now for vacation though. I do remember seeing those Chikan Akan posters though before I moved! Awesome.

Hey about the site. I have been hearing that some people can't see the images and text on the page.

Is anyone else having trouble viewing the page properly?? let me know if there are any problems! Thinks look OK on my side.

Your blog is fab! Keep us posted👍

I think the phrases in ads are diffucult to grasp their meanings because advertising agencies tend to make them very short to grab people's attention.
But you did a great job!:)

BTW I don't have any problems viewing the page.

Great work, keep the blog-posts comming. Eleanor Harz Jorden did this in her dreary book, but her ads were so achingly dull...

Eleanor Harz Jorden? What is this? What book?
Eleanor Harz Jorden wrote a number of books (both or one in multiple volumes) used primarily at Princeton, on Speaking Japanese, and seperately Reading Japanese.

The book on Speaking Japanese is either reviled or praised depending on who you ask. It uses no hiragana or kanji (as I think she feels this impedeeds learning) but uses a very odd non-hepburn romanization which seems to be linquistically closer to the way that Japanese is spoken... (Seriously, Mt. huzi instead of fuji... if you've studied even cursory pronunciation you should know how a japase fu~ is pronounced). It's entirely academic, and seems to be tailored to linquists... If you want to have 'fun' when learning a language--- Harz Jorden doesn't seem to fit the bill.

The book on learning to read is I think, a little better, but I dont' know if I would choose that book either.

Language I think is something that should be learned in an integrated way, and I myself agree that at times, roumaji is a hinderance when you are trying to simply learn gramatical structure--- But again, it will become more of a hinderance to learning to read if you build up too much of a dependence on it.

I agree with you on the roomaji thing. I never really learned roomaji, only for about 2 weeks, while our teacher taught us hiragana and katakana. Then it was so long roomaji. Sometimes people comment on my japannewbie sites that my roomaji is strange...

I have decided not to use roomaji on japanese ads blog, and let people look up the reads however they feel.

I looked over my last post, and I didn't mean to say that roumaji was a hinderance to learning grammar, that it can actually help when you're learning grammar, because you're not going up against two things at once...

...however I do still feel that it's best avoided because it obfuscates meaning.

This may not be how a good course-book should be written, I think a course book should go as quickly into hiragana & kanji as possible, but I've still read some good reference works that were written entirely in roumaji...

I really like the idea-- I went through your site and it looked great. I can't read Kanji so it's kind of difficult to know exactly what I'm reading even if the definition is there... Romanji, for me, I guess...[?] is kinda a help... I think it's because I've been just trying to learn to speak Japanese before actually reading...I just integrate reading into my self-lessons.

But hey, I guess as Yukio_Michael has stated-- it might muddle the meanings up. You guys are more experienced. 👍

XFumiko, try clicking the popjisyo link on the upper right of the site, it will give you all the kanji meanings as you mouse over.

POP辞書.com

It will give you the kanji hiraganad AND roomaji AND definition, so you can study as you read!

XFumiko, try clicking the popjisyo link on the upper right of the site, it will give you all the kanji meanings as you mouse over. [ link ]
It will give you the kanji hiraganad AND roomaji AND definition, so you can study as you read!
:D Oh, that's a big help, thanks thanks. 🙇‍♂️

No, actually I think it is too advanced for beginners, as I am teaching real Japanese off the street, and not "textbook" Japanese.

I would love to learn to speak Japanese!!! However, I am a beginner. I do have some Japanese cd too help me get started.

Any ideas?

:D Oh, that's a big help, thanks thanks. 🙇‍♂️
A better choice is probably rikai-chan, a plugin for Firefox... Instead of having to use a website in order to browse another website, you have an addition to your firefox toolbar that lets you toggle mouse-over kanji readings, definitions, etc...

Actually, I've been using PeraPera-kun, (an addon with improvements to rikai-chan) moreso than, rikai-chan, so you should check into that.

Rikai-chan is here

Pera-Pera-kun, is here...

Goodluck.

this is really great idea, Harvey! i haven't seen this thread before, but I bookmarked your blog now. It looks really interesting, funny and helpful.. especially with this POPjisyo thing :)

i hope to see updates on regular bases :)

🙂

Back
Top Bottom