What's new

Kendo

Nothingness

and total Randomness!!!
12 Mar 2004
I'm not sure if this thread should be here, but anyways.

I want to know how kendo works. (Weapons, rules, etc.) Please... thanks.

Not specially to this topic but specially at another way:
Congratulations to France winning men's group Kendo European Championship!
And the biggest congratulation to the hungarian girls winning in women's group!!!! :)

ohayougozaru said:
heard kendo makes practising ones well-mannered so on...
Yeah but it's hell hard o_O
I prefer Kung fu...easier to move but Kendo must be good to those who can bear its training...

Kendo, is always an interest... But it definately comes along wioth hard work, and pracftice to accomplish advanced skills

kendo in the u.s. and europe is child's play. it is repititious and focused, but little latent skill is needed, it is mostly training. if your looking for something too make you cry with difficulty, try shinkage ryu style or other forms that sharpen your wits instead of having you swing bamboo in a downward motion all day. im sorry but as i have done kendo for a while i have very little respect for it, but i have always been more of the "walk two miles, swim the river, train, swim back, walk back" kind of guy.

wud have been a complement..i think... kendo is okay, i did karate for 5 years and every now and then wed get out the kendo gear for a bit of fun and go nuts. :p
but dont do kendo...soooo many better things like kung fu or ninjitsu. but if u really wanna do kendo be prepared to be bored ^^;;

Lol Kung fu...I did it for 2 years and I think it's less difficult than kendo...beside I could hardly move witht he gear We were wearing...
However I think kendo is better than Judo ^^

dreamer said:
Lol Kung fu...I did it for 2 years and I think it's less difficult than kendo...beside I could hardly move witht he gear We were wearing...

uh what gear were you wearing? in kung fu i am unaware of any gear needed to perform any of the movements unless of course you were sparring in which case you would be wearing gloves, head, etc. but i would imagine that the kendo armor is much more difficult to move around in than any sparring gear.....unless of course you were referring to the kendo armor

one more thing...i have done some kendo and find it much easier than most of the movements in contemporary wushu (kung fu)

great books on Kendo are by DAve Lowry, an American who travelled to Japan to study Kendo.

Persimmon Wind

and

Autumn Lightning

Since were talking about martial arts, I have a question, whats the difference from Judo and Shorinji-kempo?

I did some jiu-jitsu when I was a kid, but I forgot a lot of it.

Judo is a martial art founded by Jigoro Kano that emphasizes throws and grappling techniques. No punching or kicking.

Shorinji-kempo is Japanese way of saying Shaolin Kung Fu, a Chinese art. (Shorinji=Shaolin Temple)

Jujutsu (proper spelling; try pronouncing "jiu-jitsu" in Japanese: jee uu jee tsu) is the precursor to Judo, Aikido and other grapppling arts.

So Judo would be kinda like Jiu-jitsu excepte in Ju there's always the occasional hit to the groin lol.

Does Shorinji-kempo have kicks and punches? Like what kind of style is it?

shiningblue said:
uh what gear were you wearing? in kung fu i am unaware of any gear needed to perform any of the movements unless of course you were sparring in which case you would be wearing gloves, head, etc. but i would imagine that the kendo armor is much more difficult to move around in than any sparring gear.....unless of course you were referring to the kendo armor

one more thing...i have done some kendo and find it much easier than most of the movements in contemporary wushu (kung fu)
I was talking about the kendo armor not kung fu lol
And even when sparing we were only wearing some mere hand protections because a gear doesn't allow us to move as we want😌

Midori said:
Hey kuchi! Joke! ;)

lol its fine, i was kidding also.

and as for this discussion on kung-fu, i窶冦 assuming nothingness is doing kendo for its appeal and not just for combat reasons. if that is the case, as i said before, skip kendo and begin learning some form of kenjutsu (sp? i don窶冲 know how too write it in english). and if you want something more specific look into such styles as the shinkage-i trained for a while in a branch of shinkage ryu and thought it adequate. if japanese kenjutsu or a defined style is not for you, then may i recommend chinese broadsword or saber arts. you might enjoy wudang, baxian (sp?), lianhuan (sp?), panlong, yexing, the list goes on and on. the point i am trying too get across is that kendo outside of a strict few countries is close too pathetic. if you take that route you will learn practically nothing and progress like a child taking taekwondo (sp?) in the states. i also must insist that you strive against using a caucasian teacher (this is not racist as i am caucasian merely my experience on the subject) as they tend not too know much more than the moves, its tekken without ken. if you truly wish too succeed at what you are doing there is no substitute for authenticity and extreme conditions.

Heh, found out this topic a liiiittle bit late, but hereツ´s my rant anyway ;)

Thereツ´s also some info on these kendo shop webpages:
All about KENDO | KENDOSHOP
E-BOGU.COM - High Quality Martial Arts Equipment, for Everyone, Anywhere in the world!

..Huh. if you find kendo boring, and something that youツ´ll learn nothing about, I definetly think you havenツ´t been focusing & practising it with real passion, interest and heart. (and therefore,of course itツ´s a good thing you donツ´t practise it anymore and find something you can really give yourself to) Maybe you havenツ´t found out about the traditions of it, and the history of it..In a way I think itツ´s really nice when so many people come interested in kendo, but itツ´s also irritating when people start learning it after seein "Kill Bill" etc. and just think "omg that looks so cool Iツ´m gonna try it", and donツ´t care about the origins of it (I donツ´t mean you guys by this in particular). Itツ´s not just a martial art, or a sport.

I have HUGE respect to kendo, (and other history based martial arts too, like Kyudo, Naginata,..) and allready understand that learning kendo is endless - you will never achieve a state when thereツ´s nothing to learn. It takes years to move forward, and there are only a few 8.dan sensei in the world (and theyツ´re about 70 years old to achieve this level). In kendo there are the first levels of 6th Kyu to 1 st Kyu, and then from 1st Dan forward.

"Swing bamboo in a downward motion all day"...well, thereツ´s a lot of things to learn from that too, a lot of things to focus to and do correctly. You need to have a strong Ki (energy, force, will of life). Kendo isnツ´t just swinging a bamboo, itツ´s a whole package of, (yesyes:) definetly ツ´sharpening your witsツ´, history, respect, martial arts, training (and hard training yes, but it gives you the most satisfaction, ne?), philosophy, zen, ..a way of life.

Grrr. :)

Coed kendo?

I just started writing a manga and just hit a problem. It involves a high school kendo club with both girls and guys on the team. And I just realized I don't actually know if this is allowed or not. Is there such a thing as a coed highschool kendo club? I would think like baseball and tennis boys and girls would have separate teams. Does anyone know for sure? Is the idea too ridiculous that I couldn't get away with a coed kendo team? :p

Kendo has a modified version of the samurai armour - the Do. It is a ridged breast plate with a heavy skirting, the haidate. The sleeves are called the kote and of course the helmet.

Kendo is built around specific targets and relies on speed of attack and not so much learning a way of fighting, though people who practice kendo for a long time are a force to be reconed with!

The valid targets in kenjistu are the head (top and sides of the head just above the ears), the right forearm above the wrist, the left but only if the left hand is raised above the shoulder. the sides of the chest and the throat - Which is the only place that may be thrust at!

It takes extreem disipline to learn and master kendo, which is why I prefer kenjitsu which is more a fighting form and "way" (jitsu) rather than "technique" (do).

Back
Top Bottom