What's new

Kendo

I think pugtm is right. my cousin did karate and got onto his 3rd belt without actually knowing anything. the amount of black belts at my school alone was alot considering we leave at age 16. This might make me sound like a bully but if im to learn a martial art id like to be able to hurt somebody if i have to not recite moves under no pressure.
I was going to start TKD before but i think thats based on alot of kicks...which would not be to my ability.

i have a friend who got his black belt in tkd in 6 months. Tkd is probably worse than karate. It all depends on the instructor and school though. I met a guy at my synagogue that trained under a traditional old school instructor from Korea. I would not like to get in a fight with him. But you are basically correct tkd is mostly kicking.

haha, I really like the "mcdojo".

But you are right, especially in America it has become increasingly hard to find good schools. I was just very lucky to find a very dedicated group of older martial artists.

I took me 5 years to get my first degree blackbelt in Taekwondo.

Also concerning kicking, It depends what school you train under. If it is a pure sport school, it will be mostly kicking. However, most traditional Taekwondo schools have large amounts of Hapkido.

Old school is always the best option. But like you said finding it is probably quite hard. Maybe the level of skill is down in our countries which means many people can become Sensei's without actually being that good. maybe sometimes passing on techniques isnt enough

Does anyone know how easy is it to find shops that sell kendo equipment in Japan? Are they common, or do people order from just a few shops?

I'm getting back into kendo after 5 years, and will hopefully be back up to speed by the time I go to Japan next fall. (I'm going purely as a tourist though, not to practice kendo). Even though I can order anything I need online, it would be nice to visit a shop and bring something back myself, if possible.

Thanks!

Does anyone know how easy is it to find shops that sell kendo equipment in Japan? Are they common, or do people order from just a few shops?

Plenty of kendo shops around. If you just need a dogi then I recommend you buy it from anywhere, but dogu you should ask around as the quality and price will vary from place to place.

There is a good one that operates through Yahoo online. I do not have the url with me, but can post it tomorrow. The prices and selection are actually quite good. I have two shops here in Okinawa that I buy from locally as well.

I have my 2-dan test in Novemeber, so a lot of practicing lately.

Ewok85 - I still have my dogi from when I used to practice, so no problems there. I'll have to buy new bogu (same as dogu, but different pronunciation?) if I can get back up to speed, so I'll be doing some research at that point.

DoctorP - Good luck with your exam! I had just passed the 1-dan exam before taking my 5 year break. No idea how long it will take to get back to that point, but I'm sure it'll be a couple years before I even consider 2-dan.

I'm still in the early planning stages of my trip to Japan next year, but I'm planning on a few days in Kyoto and maybe a couple in Osaka. I'm sure there are a few shops in each city, but I'll have to see if they're convenient to take a few hours and visit one.

Thanks!

Ewok85 - I still have my dogi from when I used to practice, so no problems there. I'll have to buy new bogu (same as dogu, but different pronunciation?) if I can get back up to speed, so I'll be doing some research at that point.

Dogi - the clothes
Dogu - the equipment (do, men, kote, etc)

Ewok...it is called bogu in Kendou!

edit: Not to argue with you, but a quick search of dogu shows that it is a clay figurine...not martial arts armour. Where have you used dogu before?

Hiroyuki Nagashima-san: Arigatou gozaimasu. I wish I could read the Japanese part of the website, but the English pages have a lot of interesting information on the different parts of kendo equipment. I was a volunteer at the 11th WKC, and remember the craftsmen sitting in the gym all day long repairing anyone's equipment. I don't think they were able to watch any of the competition at all, they were working so much.

DoctorP: Thanks for the link. I wonder if my Japanese tutor would charge me for translating and helping me buy some bogu. :p

Took (and passed) my examination for 2-dan today. The written test had way too many kanji that I did not recognize, but I was able to make my way through it. No problems on the rest of it though.

Congrats, DoctorP!! 👍

I remembered you saying the exam was in November, but wasn't sure exactly when.

I'm slowly getting back into kendo after a 5-year break, and it's painful building up the calluses (sp?) that I've lost.

Found out that Tozando is just a few streets north of Nijo-jo in Kyoto. I'm not sure of the exact distance, but I should be able to set aside a little time to visit when I go to Kyoto next year.

Congrats again!

congratulations on nidan.
i hope i can test for my first rank sometime early next year. its been 1 year since i started. i am surprised it went by this fast,

Hiya

Hi,
I'm not sure if frostyg02uk is still interested but I'm looking to start a club in Manchester city centre.
I'm currently the sempai for Bolton (and hopefully still will be). I'm looking for premises to hire out, but I'm having a lot of trouble. Either the halls have a low ceiling height (so you smash the roof to bits), the floor is not right (one place I looked at has an artificial grass floor?!?) or is booked up (by students or long established clubs).
anyhoo I would appreciate any suggestions as to places to train, as I have spent the last few months going slightly bonkers trying to find somewhere.
If I find somewhere in the meanwhile I'll post it on here.
Feel free to check out the current bolton club at w.kendobolton.co.uk
I have a feeling that I may have to setup in Oldham (just north of manchester).
Cheers
Paul (aka emitbrownne if you go to kendoworld forums :) )

Its been a long time coming....

:)
I realise that this thread is old, but I'm posting becuase it still comes up in google when searching for kendo in manchester
I am very pleased and proud to announce the opening of DoShinKenYuKai Oldham.
About the Club.
The class is newly formed and we are planning on running a beginners session starting September the 2nd.
We train in Oldham, at Grange School Gymnasium on a Tuesday evening. 7pm - 9pm.
For more info about the oldham club please see w w w .oldhamkendo. co. uk . I'll post something soon about the beginner class, with a link off the main page.
As for none beginners, all are welcome
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Cheers
Paul

Back
Top Bottom