What's new

Katakana So and N

Joe17

後輩
18 Jul 2003
Ok I've been trying to memorize all the katakana.. but the SO and N are confusing me quite a bit.. :eek: Ok this is SO ソ and this is N ン .....
i know they look a LITTLE different but if i were to ever be reading stuff in kat.. I dont think I would ever notice it.. can someone tell me a way to tell the difference between these two?

I usually see it from the stroke direction of the longer line. so is from the top to bottom and n is from bottom to top. n is also more common in Japanese words in katakana, so most of the time it'll probably be n. Also by sometime when you get familiar with Japanese words, it kind of quickly falls into place with what reads right.

Reading is not the problem since you can figure it out from context. Plus N always appears at the end of the word. So if it's in the middle or beginning, it has to be SO.

Originally posted by mdchachi
Plus N always appears at the end of the word. So if it's in the middle or beginning, it has to be SO.
The only normally hiragana words I can think of offhand that it comes in the middle are do/so/koんな、みんな、こんにちは、but there are actually bunches of katakana words with N in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom