What's new

Kaori Yuki (Angel Sanctuary), anybody? -Clamp... anybody?

OMG! someone brought this topic back up. XD

i agree with Kyos_Doll. not sure if its mangaka in englich...maybe its manga artist

Camui said:
...basically Angel Sanctuary is about this character named Setsuna who is the reincarnation of this very powerful angel named Alexiel who betrayed god.. he and his sister Sara fall in love and everybody is against it...along comes Alexiel's twin brother Rosiel and is trying to get rid of him...and while Setsuna is about to get hit, Sara steps in his way and dies for him...Setsuna's reaction reawakens Alexiel and destoys the entire city of Tokyo...very sad.. but then he has himself killed to reclaim her soul from Hades and hopefully come back to life..that's as much as I've read...and please correct me if I left anything out or made any mistakes in my info..^^

Are you summarizing the anime version? Cuz the manga goes way beyond that... But then again. There's NOT BLOODY WAY you could ever summarize the manga series.

I'll do my best though. BEWARE OF MAJOR SPOILERS.

Main Characters:

Setsuna: The protagonist of the story. He's a boy who is one of the many reincarnations of the organic angel, Alexiel (female).

Sara: Setsuna's sister. The siblings love each other (yes, incest) and thus, this sin is what triggers the whole plot. Sara is the incarnation of the elemental angel of water, Gabriel.

Rociel: At first, he seems like the main 'bad guy'. He's Alexiel's twin, the inorganic angel. It seems to all that Rociel is the one most loved by God.

Alexiel: Sent into an endless series of reincarnations in which she lives a life or suffering and painful deaths as punishment from God. At first it seems that she hates Rociel because Alexiel loves God yet God only treasures Rociel. When she is reincarnated as Setsuna, Alexiel feels that this reincarnation of her (who she sees as a separate being from the real her) would be the trigger needed to overthrow Sevotharte in Heaven. Gabriel is later revieled to have been sent with her to keep a track on her and to ensure that the punishment system is working properly.

Gabriel: Angel of water (female). Although on the surface she was sent after Alexiel to 'spy' on her. It seems that Gabriel's reincarnation of Sara, who has none of the memories of being Gabriel, falls in love with Setsuna. So basically, the reincarnations of the organic angel and the angel of water are in love. In truth though, Gabriel was sent after Alexiel (a job that's usually left to the lowest ranking angels) was a way of getting rid of her as Gabriel was opposing Sevotharte's rule.

Kira: He's the incarnate of Lucifer and is a classmate and close friend of Setsuna.

Lucifer: The bad guy? Well, maybe, but not ultimately. Lucifer loves Alexiel who is the only one who can weild the sword Nanatsusaya which has his soul sealed in it while his lifeless body remains in Hell.

Michael: The elemental angel of fire and angel of battle. He's Lucifer's younger brother and strives to defeat him for betraying Heaven and God. He's short, ill tempered, hopeless at remember faces and the only one who seems to be able to placify him and is his closest friend is Raphael.

Raphael: Angel of wind and healing. For a while in the series, he falls in love with Sara. Sara seems to be the character to break Raphael's womanizing and in the long run, helps him find true love with his subordinate. Raphael plays a huge role in Sara and Setsuna's traveling to Heaven and also at one point, resurrects Setsuna from death.

Uriel: Angel of earth and death. He had loved Alexiel but yet was assigned the task of condeming Alexiel to eternal suffering by reincarnation because of his post. After giving this order in his voice, Uriel took away his own voice and now talks to people directly in their heads. When he meets Setsuna, Uriel pleads him to take his life, but Setsuna replies that if he is trully sorry for his actions, then the punishment Setsuna gives him is to continue living.

And that litttle summary takes you about...er... over the peak of the iceberg. Angel Sanctuary is a must read if you don't mind twisted and intense plots. Really, I missed ONE SINGLE FRAME on a page once, and I was lost for another 4 chapters before I sort of knew where I was again.

If you're not so much into incest, don't worry too much. Angel Sanctuary's main pairing Setsuna and Sara, are probably the least popular in the series. It's the continuous line of beautiful side stories and development of the characters around them that are so engaging and interesting. I cried when Michael finally called out "aniki" to Lucifer. :( (I love Michael to death. He's so darn cute.)

Kiyomi said:

i agree with Kyos_Doll. not sure if its mangaka in englich...maybe its manga artist

No. I've seen photos of the mangaka, Kaori Yuki-sensei, and she definately looks like your typical middle-aged Japanese woman. She makes quite a few mistakes and Engrish in her manga to backup that belief too.

Kaori-sensei did admit to having a facination with old-England settings and stories ever since she was a little girl, so that might be where her story styles come from.

Ahh Kaori Yuki is my favourite manga artist of all time ^__^ I love all her manga...the characters are so well developed all the time I think and the storylines are original and fascinating - not to mention her artwork is completely beautiful 😌 My favourites are probably Angel Sanctuary, God Child, Boys Next Door and Ludwig Kakumei ^^

Kiyomi said:

"Mangaka" is used a lot, but I've seen "manga artist" used as well.

Boys Next Door was the first Kaori Yuki manga I've read. Count Cain's Godchild arc is my favourite (I don't like the first few volumes) and Boys Next Door comes next. Kaine is also good.

Angel Sanctuary is awesome simply in it's complex plot and mindblowing saga.

My favourite scene is when Michael finally calls Lucifer "Aniki". >< sooooo sweet.

"Mangaka" is a Japanese term. It's derived from kanji and it's Chinese form of "Manhua" = Manga & "Jia" = Ka. 'Mangaka' means 'manga artist' in English.

Back
Top Bottom