What's new

JLPT question...

りすの肉

後輩
5 Jul 2004
Hello,
How does the JLPT rank in testing proficiency in Japanese? Reliable? Not reliable? Has anyone here studied for it and taken then test? As far as learning Japanese go, is studying for JLPT Level 4 a good way to learn Japanese in general?
Thanks! :)

It's all multiple choice and there's no speaking section. Not really a good measure of proficiency, unless your idea of language proficiency is to be able to select the right answer out of a list of four possible answers.

I don't know how good studying for lvl 4 would be for you; I've never taken the tests. I would imagine that you would have to know basic grammar, vocabulary, and kanji for it, so that could be good, but I also remember seeing something like 体 being a lvl 1 kanji. You'd probably be better off just learning from a textbook and not really worrying about the test at all.

The JLPT Kanji Project and kanjisite.com both estimate 窶佚 as level 3, but since level 1 includes levels 2, 3, and 4, it's technically level 1 too. :)

Since the test is multiple choice, you don't exactly have to know many right answers if you know which ones are wrong, so all that would really prove is that you know three things not to say in a certain situation ;-).
But I think the JLPT is a fine source of motivation. It's just important to not let it be your only motivation (or only means of study) or else you will wind up with an unbalanced grasp of Japanese and nothing to keep you going once you eventually pass.

If you pass for any JLPT test, do you receive any document that proves this ? If so, if you would apply for a job in Japan that requires some Japanese speaking abillity, would these so called certificates be asked ?

If you pass for any JLPT test, do you receive any document that proves this ? If so, if you would apply for a job in Japan that requires some Japanese speaking abillity, would these so called certificates be asked ?
Yep!! There are quite a few jobs out there that require some certified understanding of the Japanese language, and JLPT is one I have seen often in many job descriptions.

If you are thinking about studying in Japan, taking this test is a must. It opens doors to graduate schools in Japan etc. If you don't have JLPT 1, basically your chance of getting into a program where Japanese is the main language of instruction is slim.
Passing JLPT 2 shows that you have more dedication than the average anime otaku about learning the language. JLPT 1 shows you have even more dedication, or simply that you have lots of interest in the language. Whether it actually evaluates proficiency properly is another story. Though most of the time it's easy to believe that a person who's passed JLPT 1 will at least some reasonable grip on the language. Chinese and Koreans have a huge advantage in taking this test, especially in the kanji multiple choice sections, where most of the time 3 out of 4 selectable answers are not proper kanji phrases. In other words, it's possible for someone who speaks chinese or korean and who speaks absolutely no Japanese at all to score a few points in those sections.

Back
Top Bottom