What's new

Japanese Language Schools?

Brooker

Anjin
Contributor
10 Apr 2004
I've been searching for Japanese language schools and all I've found are on-line or text-based courses or classes held in Japan. Are there classes for studying Japanese in a classroom setting in other parts of the world (America, England, China, Korea, S.E. Asian countries, etc.)?

There are a lot in various places in High School and Universities. I can't say for the rest except for where I live. There are a lot of HS (almost all) here in Hawaii (mostly island of Oahu) with Japanese courses. Same for Universities. And you often can interact with Japanese exchange students. For a place closer to where you live (Seattle, I presume), Oregan have some too, including Universities with study abroad opportunities.

I attend the EIC Japanese language school in Reading, Berkshire (England). I had been studying Japanese on my own for about a year before I decided to attend classes. I rate them quite highly - all the teachers are native Japanese, and they change frequently (at least once every six months) to ensure you don't get too used to any one teacher. Every teacher qualifies first in Japan (at the EII school there) - and then gets to visit the EIC centre for a six-month stint. You usually get two teachers in each lesson - one will teach the material, and the other will scribble notes about you (as well as keeping an eagle eye on what you note down). Hidden benefit: You can be pretty sure your notes are accurate. If they aren't, you usually find out before you've finished writing them. :)

As is to be expected from a Japanese institution, they also go out of their way to help you learn. Although English is strictly forbidden in the classroom (even your notes must all be in kana/kanji - I personally find this helpful, as any practice is a good thing!), the teachers will resort to almost any means imaginable to help you understand what is being communicated. Just not English! Copious notes are taken, and lessons are often recorded onto tape - this is used to identify your weak points and coach you a bit more effectively. The teachers even go to the trouble of photocopying material they think you could improve on, walking you through a few examples - and then giving it to you to take away.

The teachers also have a FANTASTIC sense of humour. :)

Sometimes you'll get on really well with a teacher - and when he/she returns to Japan, you get a free penpal. This is also useful, as you'll discuss stuff you wouldn't ordinarily talk about in the classroom (even though I try to arrive early for each lesson - the small talk before we begin is always interesting). I've also run into words I didn't recognise and looked up, only to find them appearing in the classroom a couple of weeks later. Since you are prepared, it helps you make the most of your time in the classroom.

But, above all else, it's fun! You get an introduction to Japanese culture, and you can participate in events like speeches, calligraphy, etc. EIC has centres in England and Italy, to the best of my knowledge. The parent school EII is based in Japan.

Oliver....

Thank-you very much for the information! That sounds like a great program! It's hard to find Japanese schools that aren't in Japan. Is EIC only in England and Italy? Are there very many of these schools/Is it a big company? Do you know if the teachers are paid? Do you know what the teachers do after their 6 month stint? I'll try to find some more information about it on the net.

Thanks again!

Has anyone had experience with the YM(W)CA schools in Japan ? Specifically I'm looking into the long term (1.5-2 yr) study programs, preferably in Yokohama or the Kansai area. I've heard nothing but praise for Osaka in particular, but their web sites are not particularly informative or well-updated so any first hand impressions or information would be appreciated.

http://www.ymcajapan.org/japanese/index.htm

And not only the Y's -- upon further investigation they appear to be more biased, selective and low-profile then what I'm looking for. Any and all experiences with language schools in Tokyo and/or the country are welcome. :p

はじめまして!
私は オタコン です、どうぞ よろしく!!

Hello this is my first post here. Really nice forum and I hope to get my questions answered :emoji_relaxed:

What I want to say is that I'm also looking for a Japanese school where I can study for about 1-2 years. So if someone knows any I would be really happy because I have searched everywhere :emoji_frowning2:

Otacon said:
はじめまして!
私は オタコン です、どうぞ よろしく!!

Hello this is my first post here. Really nice forum and I hope to get my questions answered :emoji_relaxed:

What I want to say is that I'm also looking for a Japanese school where I can study for about 1-2 years. So if someone knows any I would be really happy because I have searched everywhere

There was recently a thread posted about Yamasa. You can read up on it there, and through the other links.

What I want to say is that I'm also looking for a Japanese school where I can study for about 1-2 years. So if someone knows any I would be really happy because I have searched everywhere :emoji_frowning2:
And this one provides annotated ratings to a few select business-oriented schools in Tokyo.

Tokyo Newsline

To study in Tokyo is not too smart, well if you are rich of course its no problem.But what I have heard from people is that it is better to study in small towns.

Otacon said:
To study in Tokyo is not too smart, well if you are rich of course its no problem.But what I have heard from people is that it is better to study in small towns.
It depends entirely on the individual. I personally would be driven far crazier living in a rural area than spending a little extra money. Besides, I have friends in Tokyo, have gone to a school there before and for a lot of these places you need a Japanese 'contact person' in the area to sign off on the enrollment/legal papers, send & receive mail as well as a guarantor to be your de facto guardian during the student's stay.

Yes it depends entirely on the individual you are right on that, but I just wrote what I have heard from people who have been studying in Japan and they say that the big cities are expensive BUT its worth living expensive for the experience. But I would choose a smaller town near by Tokyo or Osaka...

Here is something I found when searching for schools:

Attachments

• jli_chubu_e.pdf
    51.3 KB · Views: 335
Otacon said:
Yes it depends entirely on the individual you are right on that, but I just wrote what I have heard from people who have been studying in Japan and they say that the big cities are expensive BUT its worth living expensive for the experience. But I would choose a smaller town near by Tokyo or Osaka...

Here is something I found when searching for schools
These are very valid points as well. Let me know what you're finding, Otacon. Perhaps I'll be following in your footsteps. Most city schools I've looked at so far require the applicant to have a 'contact person' for handling visa preparations, filling out the application, etc. It might be possible to find someone willing to do this, but I'm just not sure at the moment. Has this been an insurmountable barrier for anyone else? 🙂:

I have recently visited the site for EIC Japanese language school in Reading, Berkshire (England) and it was last updated in 2002. That's a pity. I was interested in finding more about admission process and who can apply. I am from Romania and I was wondering if they have summer school over there.

Does anyone happen to know of summer schools where you can take Japanese lessons?

Arigato!

Back
Top Bottom