What's new

Japanese film - 30 "must see" classics

I'm surprised High & Low (天国と地獄) didn't make the list, my favorite Kurasawa flick.

I've been watching a lot of 60's and 70's films on sky-pa in HD and the black and white stuff looks amazing. Some really funny comedies as well. I wish I could remember the name of one that was really funny, a 60's film about a Japanese whiskey maker going over to HK to sell his brand.

I'm surprised High & Low (天国と地獄) didn't make the list, my favorite Kurasawa flick.

I've been watching a lot of 60's and 70's films on sky-pa in HD and the black and white stuff looks amazing. Some really funny comedies as well. I wish I could remember the name of one that was really funny, a 60's film about a Japanese whiskey maker going over to HK to sell his brand.

this one?
サービス終了のお知らせ

samurai spy...sarutobi sasuke(猿飛佐助)

Last edited by a moderator:
No but the bar scene has the right look but it was a comedy, more slap stick and just had these great scenes with the Japanese guys trying to speak English that was really funny. Was a kick to see how they used English, I'm sure you all know guys in their 60's here who slip English words into conversations to look cool, had a lot of that.

Oh wait, that is the one! I missed the link and thought you were talking about the video displayed.

F*ck yea!! Harakiri is the best movie man ! do you guys know some good samurai movies like that ? if you can recommend some

Hakai.1948
The Broken Commandment
The Broken Commandment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I did not know their existence until reading this novel
The Broken Commandment is a Japanese novel written by Tōson Shimazaki published in 1906 (late Meiji period) under the title Hakai (破戒). The novel deals with the burakumin, formerly known as eta. This book enjoyed great popularity and influence in Japan............

sorry..no subbed

Takeda Lullaby
General[edit]

This song has long been sung among the people in the burakumin areas of Kyoto and Osaka in a slightly different form for a long time. During the 1960s, it was picked up as a theme song by the Buraku Liberation League, particularly its branch at Takeda......
Takeda Lullaby - Wikipedia

English translation[edit]
I would hate baby-sitting beyond Bon Festival,
The snow begins to fall, and the baby cries.

How can I be happy even when Bon Festival is here?
I don't have nice clothes or a sash to wear.

This child continues to cry and is mean to me.
I get thinner because the baby cries all day.

I would quickly quit here and go back
To my parents' home over there,
To my parents' home over there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this outstanding list of films. Do you know where I might purchase good quality and licensed copies? Thanks

Thank you for this outstanding list of films. Do you know where I might purchase good quality and licensed copies? Thanks

I've used this site a few times from Australia ... very good, but not sure about shipping to the US.

Asian DVD Online, Your asian movie store! DVDonline.com.au Japanese Movies, Box Sets, Songs DVD / CD, Collector / Special Edition, Other, HOT NEW RELEASE, Figure, Wall Scroll, Hong Kong TVB Se..

I've also bought Japanese DVDs from Amazon (UK & USA) when in the UK and Australia .... mixed experiences>

I LOVE film and book lists, I have that OCD obsession with them where I can't stop until I cross out every single one on there, so thanks a lot!

BTW, where did you get the list from? Or are the movies your 30 classics?

Back
Top Bottom