What's new

Japan Vs Korea

sky888

先輩
13 Jul 2004
Japan & Korea

Japan has been the clear leader in many areas.. product developement, finance, pop culture, electronic items, tourism, fashion etc

However Korea has been making steady progress and it seems that Korea and it's companies are beginning to make headlines around Asia.. Just look at Hyundai, Samsung, the movie stars, korean songs that are being very popular in major cities in Asia

Any constructive opinion on this? How does Japanese view this competition from its neighbour?

Last edited:
I think it's better to call it Japan and Korea instead of Japan VS Korea, because since recent times companies from these neighbour countries have increasingly started cooperating with each other in various economic sectors instead of competing.

ummm well S.korea are kicking arse at moment. They had major money powerd into them when the americans were there to compete with cummunist north. S.Korea made there own products rather then importing, now they are feeling the effects.
They are number 1 exporter of of steel, number 2 in ship building, number 5 or so in car manufacturing. and are highly rank in these things.
Japan is still number in alot of things, but an Japan vs Korea, is pretty unreasonable as its un-comparable

Humans are very lousy at competition.

persian893 said:
If Korea was united, IMO it would as important as Japan. But divided as such, Korea remains weak.

Which would explain on why Korea was divided in the first place and still divided. This also explained on why the Soviet Union was splitted into many countries.

Just imagine, what if the whole European country along with former Soviet Union were one country? Also what if China, Korea, and Japan are one country?

Er... Eurasia and Eastasia?

Anyway. Lets not talk all about competition. While the argument is that one become better by competing with each other, the truth is that one become weaker by competing, all of that energy is wasted on the competition instead of being productive! The end result is that there could be a third party beat them both and gain the profit of the work, as matter in fact, this third party could be the one responsible for the whole competition thing. 'Divide and conquer' is no mere textbook tactic, it's a fact of life.

Lets just face it, when humans are told to compete, they do lousy.

persian893 said:
If Korea was united, IMO it would as important as Japan. But divided as such, Korea remains weak.

True and sad. North Korea has so many non-agricultural resources they could extract from their land. Unfortunately, because of the messed-up economy there, they cannot make great use of the potential resources they have. Someday, Korea will be united and we will become very close to Japan in terms of economic influence in Asia. China is on the rise, but overall they are still backwards because of years of mismanagement before Deng. In the 2004 United Nations Human Development Report, Japan ranked 9th, South Korea ranked 28th (from 30th), and China ranked 94th (from 104th).

So, tell me when is the end of the world! I must spend all my money before I go go go

to hell.

digicross said:
The end result is that there could be a third party beat them both and gain the profit of the work, as matter in fact, this third party could be the one responsible for the whole competition thing. 'Divide and conquer' is no mere textbook tactic, it's a fact of life.

I still can窶冲 figure out who is that third party you窶况e been talking about. My best guess is Aliens. According to the X-Files the aliens have already arrived but the U.S. government is not telling us!!!

Are you a fan of the X-Files or you belong to the ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence Institute (SETI)?

Btw, I just heard a rumor - Zhang Zi Yi will be the geisha in the 窶廴emoirs of a Geisha.窶 Do you think it窶冱 another tool used by the aliens to piss off the Japanese people?

Or is it Satan? Actually, since 2002 a series of strange phenomenon had happened. Two planes flew into the World Trade Center, China and Germany condemned the U.S. and U.K. for being bellicose, and Tom Cruise is the Last Samurai!!!!!

Oh, it is probably another omen of the Armageddon窶ヲ

persian893 said:

Rebuilding North Korea if their regime somehow collapses would cost about 150 to 200 Billion Dollars. South Korea can never pay all that money on it's own.
So Korea would then need countries like Japan, United States and rich European countries to donate much money for rebuilding the North.
Also United Korea will still be quite smaller in land size then Japan, and have a big disadvantage by having the weak North which will suck up allot of money for reconstruction.
In the longer run when the North of United Korea is mostly rebuilt it will probably become a stronger country then it is now.
However I don't think it will and can ever match the power that Japan possesses.

you don't want north korea, and north korea doesn't want you, trust me.

I think the level of animation skill (CG and handdrawn) in s.Korea is amazing, I would say its better than most Japanese animation houses

digicross said:
Lets just face it, when humans are told to compete, they do lousy.
Er... Isn't it the other way round? Just look what happened to Eastern Europe after they got rid of the competition for better jobs, more money, wealth, etc. The productivity was not really the best in the world.

canadian_kor said:
Someday, Korea will be united and we will become very close to Japan in terms of economic influence in Asia.
Someday, maybe. But that will be a long way ahead. Look at Germany & the problems they have to integrate Eastern Germany. Then compare the state the GDR was in when they got unified with the state N-Korea is in now. If I remember correctly, the GDR was close to (or even inside) the Top10 of industrialized nations at the time (although, the GDP was probably highly overestimated). Korea will face many problems before they could emerge as a major Asian power.

canadian_kor said:
True and sad. North Korea has so many non-agricultural resources they could extract from their land. Unfortunately, because of the messed-up economy there, they cannot make great use of the potential resources they have. Someday, Korea will be united and we will become very close to Japan in terms of economic influence in Asia. China is on the rise, but overall they are still backwards because of years of mismanagement before Deng. In the 2004 United Nations Human Development Report, Japan ranked 9th, South Korea ranked 28th (from 30th), and China ranked 94th (from 104th).

I think you're wrong,united Korea is going to go seriously backward ,the unification should be considered when North's Economy become at least 3/4 size of the South as the KDI(Korean Developement Institute)report said.
That seems very hopeless to be pulfilled to be honest.

Before that dreamful thing come true,Korea should just remain as divided but making increased economical exchangement with North is necessary.(like south enterprises invest in north for using cheap labour forces)
But its not right time to think about that before the north nuclear problem to be solved.

And China is very important economical partner with South Korea.
The domestic economic condition of south korea is not so good recently ,we are just heavily dependent on the growing export and trading surplus and about 20% of them are from China.

Back
Top Bottom