What's new

Japan Photos 2019

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Time to start this year's photo thread. :cool:

551B5D79-B5C8-4CD7-BE30-51579DCFBA97.jpeg

Our neighbourhood shrine this morning. Wanchan was off-limits, so we waited outside the sanctum. Now's also the season when the donation box gets plundered regularly.

Nice picture. Went to a small village shrine, put some yen in the donation box, sat down and had chicken liver, sweet and sour pork and white rice. So relaxing. No one around either. I don't know where the picture is on my computer, but if I can find it, I'll post it.

I did this one time. My pictures look almost exactly like this except it was pre-smart phone era. There were fewer cameras and more flags.

police-notice-osaka.jpg

I found this notice in a museum in Osaka. Lots of shops and restaurants forbid passers-by to take photos of their merchandise (unless you purchase something, that is). I'm wondering what's the attraction of Japanese school bags...

They are asking people not take pictures of school children (学童) but it's an odd roundabout way that they are asking.
I've done it myself when I first went to Japan. You can't deny that a row of kindergartners or first graders all dressed alike walking in a row, like ducklings following the mama duck, aren't cute. But these people live right next to Osaka station so trying to stop it will be extremely difficult. I wonder if it's illegal or just "bad manners"?

I've seen girls standing around in maid costumes in Akihabara handing out pamphlets but also with signs that say "no pictures." Seems one should expect that to be a natural side effect of the job.

Impressions from Umeda. :LOL:

Finally some sunshine after two days of endless rain in Kanto.

Ume trees in our local park (iPhone).

Our neighbourhood temple this afternoon with cherry blossoms almost in full bloom. 🌸

almost-full-bloom.jpeg

Bridges, canals, and concrete: cherry blossoms on today's bicycle commute.

sakura02.jpg

Sakura along Shibuya River

sakura03.jpg

Shibuya River

sakura04.jpg

Yakatabune on Shibuya River

sakura05.jpg

Tsukishimagawa

sakura06.jpg

Sarue Park, Koto-ku

sakura07.jpg

Sendaibori, Koto-ku

sakura08.jpg

Joshinji Cemetery

Oyokogawa_ Koto-ku.jpg

Oyokogawa, Koto-ku

sakura10.jpg

Tsukiji, now devoid of commercial activity

sakura01.jpg

Sumidagawa

sakura11.jpg

Shibuya River in Hiroo

Great pictures! Looks like a very nice area to explore.
Its a nice place to enjoy a bit of "city life" but be surrounded by the old country style too. Rice fields are just minutes away. Get to see pheasants roam freely until the hawks show up and then I throw bread up in the air to feed them while pheasants seek shelter.

Wow. We just went to a Cherry blossom festival closing . And it was fantastic last week while it blooming peek. Looks exactly like this. Awesome.

Matcha with @Maciamo last week.

Hey Thomas
I often wonder about those of us here in Japan really see life in a less hectic way of living/surviving. Your pictures that you share have the free spirit of one that "lives" in Japan. If possible, for one to live like that with few worries, that person has found peace in a foreign country.

I often wonder about those of us here in Japan really see life in a less hectic way of living/surviving. Your pictures that you share have the free spirit of one that "lives" in Japan. If possible, for one to live like that with few worries, that person has found peace in a foreign country.

I don't believe that our lives are less hectic or stressful. The important thing is to find time for contemplation and meditation, time to enjoy the beauty that surrounds us and to disconnect from our daily routine. To me, it's most rejuvenating to spend time in nature, cycling or walking the dog (and leaving my mobile phone at home). :)

Back
Top Bottom