What's new

Japan Job Asking Me to Mail Them My Diploma

Blessley

Registered
26 Apr 2017
Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a job teaching English in Japan. I'm currently living on the east coast of Canada, so obviously I'm doing all of this long distance. I had a couple interviews, was sent a contract and now the employer is asking me to mail them my original university diploma... They say it's part of the normal visa application, but i've never heard anything about it.

Is this normal? I'm not enthused at the idea of sending my degree halfway around the world by mail, and I don't understand why they can't accept a photocopy or a scan.

I ran into this while joining MENSA. They wanted my military DD record original. Turns out if you make a good front & back copy and have it notarized by a law firm , they would accept that in place of the original. Might be worth checking to see if that is acceptable .

Who exactly says they need it? Have they said they will return all application materials (some don't)?

Tell them you will give a certified copy because other potential employers want the same thing (wink, wink) making it impossible to duplicate. It happened to me. They realized their foolishness.

If they insist and you send it and it gets lost or kept, pay for your school to provide another. A pain, but an avenue you can go down if need be.

Back
Top Bottom