What's new

Japan and Internet on Mobile

sundaybluez

WebSun
21 Aug 2006
I have heard Japan has the highest ratio of internet usage on mobile phones, is that true ?
I mean do they really use mobile phone internet in their real life, like checking emails, searching for jobs, or dating, etc

Looking forward to your replies friends.

Regards,
Nilesh

Japan is probably up there with Korea in terms of mobile internet usage. Cell phones actually get their own e-mail addresses, in addition to SMS messaging. Even the cheap phones have access to the net, and there is a variety of sites and services available to to mobile users. My favorites were ones that gave train schedules and mapped routes, and maps that showed the location of businesses nearby.

I've had a chance to interview a top executive of DoCoMo, and learned some interesting things about the nature of the mobile phone industry, and the reasons why it's so much more advanced in Asia than, say, the US.

sorry for the delayed reply, got just a bit busy with lots of work :) ;)

Do you think a job site would work in Japan.
I mean by making the job site naming it as JobsonMobile.com or something of that sort. Will people in Japan use them to search jobs on mobile ?

Or might be JokesonMobile.com which is anyways already a joke website....might be we make it with someother name, do these guys will use cell phone to read an XHTML website.

I think that in order to create a mobile site, one must first research the audience and see what kind of sites they visit on their phones. While in Japan, I only visited practical sites like those that located local businesses, gave me train schedules, or the weather forecast. I think that social sites are also popular, but that would be a difficult market to break into.

A job site seems a little too serious to browse on a mobile phone, but there's probably a niche market for it. Jokes, on the other hand, are a bit frivolous, but again there's probably a group of users that would visit such a site. Basically, you're looking at offering content vs. service.

Back
Top Bottom