What's new

Is this phrase an insult?

nagaoh

先輩
24 May 2007
Hi all, need help with another YouTube clip.

The concept is that the "NaiNai" comedy group lines up a bunch of poor 外人 and teaches them hilariously wrong things about Japanese language and culture, under the guise of helping them meet Japanese girls.
Seek to 3:36 to see a "lesson" about 名刺 . During the example 名刺 exchange, they repeat a phrase I'm completely unfamiliar with, where they would usually say something like よおしくお願いします. The phrase is:

なんだちみは。

Is this some sort of insult, and that's why it's funny? What does it mean? I googled it and found only one hit where it was coupled with このやろう, which I already know is not complimentary!

I apologize in advance if I've posted something excessively vulgar 😅
Thanks again for the help.

永王

Don't worry about vulgarity! Ninety-Nine is a favorite comic duo of mine! They "usually" practice common sense.
I haven't seen the entire clip, but I'm sure they are careful not to go to extreme in poking fun at foreigners...(I hope!) 😅

ちみ in なんだ、ちみは is a comic variation of 君(きみ)coined very long ago by a veteran comic (I don't remember who but I do remember the time when it became popular). So, it plainly means something like:
So, what are you? (So, who are you?)

HTH! :)

He wanted to get "laughter" from Japanese audience after he taught something different or funny to the students.

No time to say something funny when you exchange your name card with 5 or 6 people. All you can say is "Nagaoh desu. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu", or I am Nagaoh. Please to meet you.
But it is not rude to ask when you don't understand how to call the name.

Both great answers. I also think they are funny and will be looking out for more clips from them.
ありがとう!

Back
Top Bottom