What's new

Question Is there a legally required period of time for handing in notice of resignation in Japan?

Mrmachoman

Registered
22 Feb 2018
Dear JREF forum,

I began working for an eikaiwa in March 2020 and last week my boss informed me that he would not be renewing my contract when the current one ends at the end of March 2021.
I immediately started looking for jobs and managed to find one with a new company even given the current climate, however they would like me to start in January.
I asked my boss if it would be possible to do so, but he said that the only option was for me to finish my contract and early termination would not be possible.

I completely understand his position, and am thankful to him for the 3 months notice he gave me. However, the fact of the matter is I need to eat, pay rent and I need a visa to stay in Japan, and in the real working world new jobs don't start precisely when current jobs end!

Does anyone know if there is a legal obligatory period of notice that I need to give my current job?

Thank you very much in advance for any help or pointing in the right direction you can give me.

Civil law says you should tender your resignation at least 2 weeks prior to the date you expext to quit. Unless you have a clause in your contract that explicitly states otherwise, you are fine giving them 2 weeks notice, however in practice its usually customary to give a months notice. Well, the longer the better. But legally, you are good to go after two weeks (and actually I think this is even a very strict interpretation of the law). I think you can leave earlier, but then the company can threaten you with loss of potential income due to your sudden leaving, etc.. Anyway, two weeks. A month or more if you want to show some goodwill.

Civil Law Section 627, Number 1, if you are interested.

Civil law says you should tender your resignation at least 2 weeks prior to the date you expext to quit. Unless you have a clause in your contract that explicitly states otherwise, you are fine giving them 2 weeks notice, however in practice its usually customary to give a months notice. Well, the longer the better. But legally, you are good to go after two weeks (and actually I think this is even a very strict interpretation of the law). I think you can leave earlier, but then the company can threaten you with loss of potential income due to your sudden leaving, etc.. Anyway, two weeks. A month or more if you want to show some goodwill.

Civil Law Section 627, Number 1, if you are interested.
Thank you very much Majestic for your answer.

Back
Top Bottom