What's new

is it possible to me, i mean to my family..??

ROCEL

後輩
17 May 2008
Konnichiwa

Me and my wife are living in the Philippines (Filipino Citizens)..We would like to know if there is a possibility for us to become Japanese residents?Because both our parents are residents in japan, because they were both married to a Japanese national..The problem is we are overage for adoption and we are already married..By the way i'm 25 yrs of age and my wife is 23 and we do have daughter she's already 3yrs of age..We already went in japan twice but for months only because they gave us tourist visa only..

Why do we want to become a Japanese resident??

Because there's no one left here in the Philippines, both our parents and siblings live there, and our parents wanted us to be with them..

Thank you for your reply..

You say that both of you have parents that married Japanese citizens... does that mean that you're half Japanese, or just have Japanese step-parents?

Also, what do you mean by "become a Japanese resident"? Do you mean "move to Japan," "become a permanent resident," or "naturalize"? Specify what your goal is, and what you plan to do in Japan. Visa eligibility is the first thing you need to address.

One thing I say to you kuya, whatever you do do it right, and going to Japan is a good choice. Can you speak Japanese?

Your situation sounds very strange--as in very uncommon--however it may well be possible; just that it will take some thinking, planning, work, and a fair amount of time.

There have to be other family members of yours there in the Philippines if the parents (in whatever arrangement) of both you and your wife are Filipino, and unless those parents have had a change of heart all of a sudden, or something, the claim that they want you to live with them also sounds strange. (although it is possible to have that kind of change of heart)

Do the parents know each other?

From what I gather, a parent of yours and a parent of your wife are married to Japanese nationals (separate couples)?

If so, I think you cannot claim family ties and settle down in Japan (to live and work). It is possible only when you are related to Japanese by blood.

The only advantage I can think of is having one or both of the stepparents to become guarantors in the event that you and/or your wife manage to obtain a visa (that allows work) in Japan.

What visa? I have no idea. ☝

You say that both of you have parents that married Japanese citizens... does that mean that you're half Japanese, or just have Japanese step-parents?

Also, what do you mean by "become a Japanese resident"? Do you mean "move to Japan," "become a permanent resident," or "naturalize"? Specify what your goal is, and what you plan to do in Japan. Visa eligibility is the first thing you need to address.

thank you for your reply nice gaijin...yes we only have japanese step-fathers, what do we want is to have a visa that lasts for years we also wanted our daughter to study there. and we want to live together with our family there. do you have any idea or suggestions for us? thank you for your concern.... we will wait for your reply..

Your situation sounds very strange--as in very uncommon--however it may well be possible; just that it will take some thinking, planning, work, and a fair amount of time.
There have to be other family members of yours there in the Philippines if the parents (in whatever arrangement) of both you and your wife are Filipino, and unless those parents have had a change of heart all of a sudden, or something, the claim that they want you to live with them also sounds strange. (although it is possible to have that kind of change of heart)
Do the parents know each other?

what do you mean? both our parents are separated ways. our mothers now are already married to a japanese national...mine lives in saitama and my wife's mother lives in nagoya both married. we only have the chance to be with them for months because they only gave us tourists visas. the problem is we want to live with them... do you have any idea or suggestions on how we can apply for any visa that will fit our situation?? your reply will mean a lot...thank you!

From what I gather, a parent of yours and a parent of your wife are married to Japanese nationals (separate couples)?
If so, I think you cannot claim family ties and settle down in Japan (to live and work). It is possible only when you are related to Japanese by blood.
The only advantage I can think of is having one or both of the stepparents to become guarantors in the event that you and/or your wife manage to obtain a visa (that allows work) in Japan.
What visa? I have no idea. ☝

what do u mean by guarantors? you mean the one who gives us an invitation to enter japan? thank you!

Last edited:
can you give us ideas or suggestions? thank you

I'm Julie Anne Cruz 23 years old, married and have a 3 year old daughter, my mother is a permanent resident in Japan and married to a Japanese national and they have a 4 year old son. My husband is 25 years old and his mother was also married to a Japanese national and lives in Japan too. So both our mothers stay there. We went to Japan twice but only as tourists. I together with my husband and daughter visited our mothers twice but only in limited time because we are only tourists. Our mothers wanted us to stay with them because there's no one left here in the Philippines . Our problem is that our step-fathers cannot adopt us anymore because we are too old for adoption and we are already married, My mother wanted us to be with them because only the three of them lives there and my step-father has no one too because his parents are already dead, and so as my husband's mother, she also wanted her son's family to stay there because my husband was her only son. Our mothers also wanted our daughter to study in Japan . They also wanted to guide us because we're young and still need their guidance. Can you help us to apply for long term visa or any kind of visa that last for year/years?

Your two threads have been merged and placed in Japan Practical because they are both on the same visa issue.
Please do not do this again, thank you.

what do u mean by guarantors? you mean the one who gives us an invitation to enter japan? thank you!
A guarantor (hoshou-nin) is a person who provides guarantee for your livelihood, expenses for returning to your home country, etc., during your stay in Japan. If my memory serves me right, a guarantor cannot "invite" a foreign national and help in granting a visa. I think you're on your own to qualify for any of the visa categories available for entry into Japan.
In other words, I don't think you can get a visa for living and working in Japan only because both mothers are married to Japanese.
This type of immigration rule is not unique to Japan. The US has the same kind of rule, and I'm sure many countries do, too.

Your two threads have been merged and placed in Japan Practical because they are both on the same visa issue.
Please do not do this again, thank you.
A guarantor (hoshou-nin) is a person who provides guarantee for your livelihood, expenses for returning to your home country, etc., during your stay in Japan. If my memory serves me right, a guarantor cannot "invite" a foreign national and help in granting a visa. I think you're on your own to qualify for any of the visa categories available for entry into Japan.
In other words, I don't think you can get a visa for living and working in Japan only because both mothers are married to Japanese.
This type of immigration rule is not unique to Japan. The US has the same kind of rule, and I'm sure many countries do, too.

What about if our step father want us to stay them for a year, is it possible??

What about if our step father want us to stay them for a year, is it possible??
If it is just for a short period of time, I think you can apply for a "visiting relatives" visa.

I don't remember how long you can stay on that. I think you can't stay here very long on that visa and also think you're not allowed to work either. (Please check out the details on this.)

Another alternative I can think of is to have your parents finance you and get you enrolled in a school in Japan, to study the language, etc. Then, you're qualified for a one- or two-year visa (for the length of time needed for study) but you must attend school (your visa is cancelled when the authorities find that you are not attending the school).

If your stepfather really wants you to come, he should be the one to go to the local immigration bureau in Japan to seek advice on the matter. That should be the quickest and most effective way to know the answer to your question.

Personally, I don't think you should have your hopes up too high on being able to stay in Japan for a relatively long period of time to live and work... ☝

Thanks for responding, ROCEL san. I do feel for you--my heart goes out to you--in that your desire to come here to Japan is an emotional, and strong one. That I can understand. I will let epigene's answers and follow up be the guide here, yet since you did ask me what I had meant by my earlier post, I will answer that much.

I am taking an educated guess here, so I could be wrong, but as I see it, the possibility that a Philippine national couple (a married man and woman) who both had been created by separate Philippine national couples (two different sets of a Philippine national man and a Philippine national woman) and whose each set of parents have divorced and the women of each set have remarried to Japanese nationals (separately) and now live in Japan, is uncommon.

Both you and (thanks for the information to make understanding clear) your husband's fathers, I take it, live in the Philippines, as likely do your biological parents' parents and extended family. The only connection that you and your husband have with Japan, is that each of your biological mothers live here--and neither of them are Japanese nationals.

Well, as epigene is working towards, there's little likelihood of getting any kind of special visa that will automatically bring you and your husband and your child (the whole family) to live here on an dependent visa (3 year), so you'd have to look at a working visa for both you and your husband. Or only one of you would have to come on a student visa (I doubt that the whole family would be allowed to come on a student visa arrangement because you are not really allowed to work, on such a visa--as far as I know.

I had said it would take a lot of planning and work. Do you speak Japanese? Does your husband? What work skills do either of you have? Why did your respective mothers not invite you to come to Japan, or bring you to Japan as part of the 'package' (so to speak) in getting married with a Japanese national (assuming they got married in the Philippines)? Why now?

Anyway, it may be possible to get a visa for your whole family, but you will definitely have to work for it. That would take (and I guess, here) at least some three years. If you intend to put your child in a Japanese school, you'll have to start now on teaching her Japanese. (that will probably cost money, as probably neither you nor your husband really speak Japanese--although there are some international schools where English is the medium langauge...again, more expensive than regular public schools.)

Then, as has been pointed out above, either your, or your husband's step-father will most surely have to want to support your move to Japan enough to take action and do the paperwork and running around that would require it to happen. Otherwise, it probably will not happen--just a cold reality, unfortunately.

There is a visa called Long-term Resident visa that is suited for second- and third-generation Japanese (not your case), refugees (again, not your case), etc. (whatever "etc." means). Perhaps you could look into this. Your mother could sponsor your for it.

Otherwise, if just one of you (husband or wife) can get a job here that sponsors a work visa, then that person can sponsor the spouse and kids for dependent visas. I would think this would be a more logical route to take and a more straightforward one because your visa would be tied to the reason you'd have to live here -- a job. So, the next question is, what are your job qualifications and experience? I mean, even if you came on the Long-term Resident visa, what would you do for a living the rest of your lives here?

I would recommend contacting the Japanese Embassy in your country. They will be a better source of authoritative information than we are. We're glad to help, but everything we say is conjecture. At some point you'll have to deal with the Embassy anyway; there's no avoiding it.

Back
Top Bottom