What's new

Is anybody practising Bikram's yoga?

Frumpy

Kouhai
17 Aug 2016
One of the things I am looking forward to is to take up yoga again. Here in Thailand there are only a few outlets in major tourist spots, none where I live!
I'm talking about Bikram's Hot Yoga, not any of the many other kinds of yoga out there. After doing yoga at 40 degrees I wonder how it is even possible to do the exercises when the body is "cold".
Can anybody recommend any Bikram's Yoga outlets and give some info on pricing and whatever else?
I googled locations in Tokyo but I need some insider info! :)

My local ward office offers yoga classes, but I don't think it's hot and it appears to be women only.

Here and there near stations people are passing out fliers for yoga classes, though they usually don't pass me one. Probably because I look like the kind of out of shape old man who's probably not going to do yoga anytime soon.

There seem to be more kinds of yoga than ice cream flavors these days.
I recently came across "Fly Yoga", you hang on ropes, dangling from the ceiling!
After trying hot yoga I'm only interested in Bikram's Hot Yoga which is quite intense but also very rewarding, even after the first few sessions.
Old and out of shape? More reasons to take up yoga!
The good thing is that in Bikram's beginner class you can do the poses as intensive as you want or are able to, never mind that the young ones (and some old ones!) are doing the same poses close to perfection.
One day you'll be able to do that, too - it all depends on how much you really want to do for your body and soul. :)

Honestly, I'm pretty well at peace with my utter lack of regard for my body's flexibility, and I don't believe in the concept of the soul.

Regular baths, onsen and massage are about the limit of my interest in these things for now. Perhaps in the future that will change, but for now I'm a content house cat.

Nothing wrong with that!
I'm getting Thai massages almost every weekend, they cost me half an hour of teaching here.
But I'd rather do yoga, one session feels better than three good massages, plus it gives me a happy feeling afterwards because I did forced myself again through 90 minutes of sweating and rebuilding my body.
There's a lot of talk about the spiritual aspect of yoga but I started it because of constant back pain. The doctors recommended swimming, massages and a wedge-shaped pillow for my back to sit straight. It all didn't help much so I turned to yoga which definitely improved about everything, and concentrating on yourself for 90 minutes gives you an interesting feedback about what's going on with you, physically and mentally.
After ten sessions it was clear to me that I will do this type of yoga for the rest of my life.

Nothing wrong with that!
I'm getting Thai massages almost every weekend, they cost me half an hour of teaching here.
But I'd rather do yoga, one session feels better than three good massages, plus it gives me a happy feeling afterwards because I did forced myself again through 90 minutes of sweating and rebuilding my body.
There's a lot of talk about the spiritual aspect of yoga but I started it because of constant back pain. The doctors recommended swimming, massages and a wedge-shaped pillow for my back to sit straight. It all didn't help much so I turned to yoga which definitely improved about everything, and concentrating on yourself for 90 minutes gives you an interesting feedback about what's going on with you, physically and mentally.
After ten sessions it was clear to me that I will do this type of yoga for the rest of my life.
It's always good to find what helps in life!

Back
Top Bottom