What's new

Interracial Couples

I would agree with Kirei_na_me. My BF is Japanese, he says that it's not so usual for Japanese men to date non-Japanese women (more usual the Japanese woman to date non-Japanese man) but it is certainly altering, but slowly. In fact, he is kind of at the older end of young, so the younger generation probably more open-minded. BF says that Japanese not generally so open for such relationships, but he thinks this is not really a good thing (especially given the falling birth rate), on the other hand, his attitude maybe not what you'd call 'stereotypical Japanese' so I don't know...
Lol I haven't added anything whatsoever to this discussion except drivel! 😌
Although I did wonder whether he's an agent employed by Japanese government to increase their population :LOL:

Kinsaro, the Japanese men are not the ones that are racist usually. It we white ladies that are not comfortable with dating Asian men. We should stop to point at Japanese men and look in our own hearts ladies. Until we accept them, the Japanese men will not have us. It still takes two to tangle, and we must be willing to tangle with them men.

I think that Japanese men tend to admire and be attracted to foreigners because they're so "exotic" - but when it comes time to settle down, they figure it's their duty to let go of the so-called fantasy of blonde hair, blue eyes, or brown skin, and marry a Japanese woman.

But know know, a lot of Japanese youth are starting to let go of traditions... Maybe being with a foreigner isn't such a big deal anymore.

(Though I do know, as an Afro-Caribbean, Japanese men tend to be more afraid of "strong black women.")

took me a LOOONG time to get through all five pages! I think I read page 1 four times!

Just one point for now, I realise more than before the unwillingness of my wife to meet new people.She's sick of that 'oh,how do you like it here?' incessant questioning. True, it has got very old, very quickly.
My parents in law are both welcoming, kind, generous, people. Couldn't be more happy with them.
Don't know what they think of me however! Seems like after every argument my wife gives them the whole shebang about what I've done wrong, but rarely if ever does she report when I have her is stitches of laughter...
Presumably they're smart enough to take what she says with a grain of salt...

I'm american and my fiance is a Japanese citizen...(hes only actually been to America once) and I consider us extremely lucky because we have had no objections from either side of the family. In fact, his mom is delighted that her son is marrying an American even though she herself doesnt speak any english

Is it that she's delighted her son is marrying an American or that he's getting married at all? You gotta watch out for guys in the latter category.

I am korean and I never dated a white woman nor a single woman in my life, but I'd have to admit that I am really reticent to date a white woman. One of the reason why I dont want to is that I really would like to date a woman only once in my life and because I really dont like the idea of having to date several women before finally meeting the "right one". I know it sounds lame, but my confidence must be low, thats all. It is really wierd because my parent encourage to date white women (not black women though). It's just that white women are less shy than asian woman and are more willing to do stuff I dont usually do.

I am sorry if my english is difficult to understand, I live in Quebec and I am used to speak french rather than english...

I'm rather for Japanese girls now, i dont how it comes suddenly it was there normally im always dating White girls(Belgian/Hungarian/Ukraine girls) but now suddenly the flavour is asiatic to be more specific: japan and filipina ;)

every girl is lovely no matter where she come from or where her roots lie be friendly and they all treat you well ;)

I don't mind dating other ethnicities but I prefer asian guys... Just a preference though. My cousin is dating a guy with a European Accent-- and just because I can't tell it's either British/English. It's cute. Asian for me until some guy changes my mind <3

I re-read this thread and I have learned or experinced a few more things...well maybe they are just casual observations, and in no way scientific. So far after being in Japan for over a month I haven't seen another "white" woman with a Japanese man that were an obvious couple. I have seen every nationality of men with Japanese women. Ok, in as much that I can call someone Japanese...they spoke Japanese (the women/or men). I make men here uncomfortable, but it is my fault as I have a tendency to touch people. I am not this giant hulking westerner as some will conclude. I was raised in a big, happy, touchy-feely family. I touch people. It doesn't seem to bother the women/girls I know here. As a matter of fact they love to hook arms with me as we walk through the city. I love it. And I will say again that here in Japan I feel like my husband and I do stand out. We do get starred at; I am getting used to it. I hate the sideways looks the most. I think who ever makes you happy and you make happy is the person you should be with and race/nationality shouldn't matter. Of course in theory that sounds great, in actuality I'm not so sure....

Again, Goldiegirl it is something one just get's used to. Like you said, as long as two people love each other, who gives a damn what others think. It only becomes a problem when you let it bother you and it begins to affect your relationship.

The stares? They will come more so especially since you are a foreign woman and it is uncommon for a Japanese male to be with a foreign woman in Japan. Even in a place as big as Tokyo, it is quite rare.

Many will probably wonder about your profession and such and may have a stereo-type of you before even getting to know you. But do not let that bother you one iota as, at the end of the day, those people you will probably never see again, and it is your husband whose futon you will share. Let them think what they may, you can't prevent it and it is all to common in a foreign country such as Japan. Think of it as America when blacks and whites first started dating in the open. The stares and stereo-types where all there, much as you are experiencing today in Japan, but those people did not let it bother them and neither should you.

Good luck, keep your head high, and don't let it bother you. Things will get better.

Back
Top Bottom