What's new

Couple busters

@ physical greetings
:D
that must have been funny...!
i have a japanese friend who, after getting to know all this western tradition about kisses, always wants to give people three kisses on the cheek. at first, she got confused on the number of kisses (!!!), since she was not used to. but now, she's got the perfect western/latin manners! ;)

In Arab countries men cheek-kiss each other as well. As Maciamo has pointed out, there are regional differences in regard to the number of kisses exchanged. Women and men, on the other hand, would never kiss each other unless they are married or brother and sister.

@ number of kisses
in brazil, i believe you give three kisses to wish you a marriage, a sort of supersticion.

(you guys know what i've just realized right now? that there's no 'smilie' for kissing! 😊 for instance, on msn messenger you have that (K) which shows you on the screen a lip, meaning a kiss.)

Interesting. Unfortunately, here in India, kissing is something I see mostly in movies!!
Kissing here couldn't in no way mean a greeting, it cud mean only physical intimacy, love etc., no, not even affection! (but in some special situations, kissing between women may be acceptable as sisterly!)
Damn strange, eh?........ But that's the way life runs here, and people are really comfortable this way notwithstanding all the rapid westernization that's taken and taking place.

@ lack of physical contact
Funny, but we must have a meagre rate of divorce/breakups compared to the US or Japan. And physical contact in public is something not seen often. All this even though fidelity, responsibility etc. etc. would be one of the highest across...... So, I wouldn't say lack of physical contact contributes to breakups, not here anyway. Here. There must be innumerable people having affairs, but mostly, you would see nothing more than holding hands. It's not that it's forbidden, just that people don't feel comfortable doing it (say kissing etc.) in public. It's too embarrassing.

And the same goes for arranged marriages (omiai). I can't give you statistics, but I can confidently say there are at least five times as many love marriages as arranged. And again, the divorce rate is so low.
The bottom line:- Just the culture and the way people are brought up and society's mindset. (which all keep changing rapidly)
Maybe because divorce is still a social stigma that not many couples break up, and no kissing maybe because people don't like expressing their love so blatantly.
It's funny how every culture is so unique, interesting and funny!

But how I wish I could be kissing and pecking all day long...LOL....("tonari no shibafu wa suggoku aoi" karasa........)

😄

Last edited:
@ touching and physical contact

Actually I was reffering to that which normally occurs in homes :)

@ in public
In Japan for those over 40, touching in public is like a taboo.

30 somethings is a 50-50 mix. Something done to catch a good hubby then which slowly disappears as the relationship deepens and marriage papers have been signed and long forgotten.

under 20. It's all is fair game it seems. Hormones seem to break public taboos.

Wakaresaseya

Here's more on the original topic:

Private eye business split over wakaresaseya

"Private detective agencies across Japan are rushing to wash their hands of any involvement with the wakaresaseya, or professional relationship destroyers, following a spate of gripes about the practice, the Mainichi has learned. [...]

Wakaresaseya, frequently attractive young people who latch onto an unwanted partner and either prompt them to end the relationship they're in or provide grounds for having it terminated, has apparently existed for decades in Japan, but gained widespread popularity last year following a TV drama that gave a fictional account of a professional relationship breaker."

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/features/0211/11wakare.html

Back
Top Bottom