What's new

Imperial tweet

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Just thought I'd share this quickly. I have never seen a better and more touching picture of the imperial couple than this keitai shot which tops all those boring staged photos released by the IHA.

Photo of imperial couple causes stir on Twitter

A snapshot of Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko widely shared on Twitter has raised questions about the propriety of posting informal pictures of the imperial couple online. Taken by an ordinary citizen, the photograph captured the imperial couple smiling to the camera at JR Oyama Station in Tochigi Prefecture on May 22. The couple stopped there to transfer to the Shinkansen bullet train on their way back to Tokyo after an overnight trip in the prefecture.

Cheers erupted among the crowd at the station, including commuting students, when the couple showed up on the concourse. Many people quickly snapped pictures with their smartphones and digital cameras. The uploaded image is believed to have been taken at the time by a female high school student, but The Asahi Shimbun has been unable to confirm the identity of the photographer.

"The emperor was at Oyama Station. I was able to take the best shot," the photographer tweeted along with the picture, which has been retweeted more than 2,700 times.

In the photo, Akihito is raising his right hand with Michiko smiling at his side. Online feedback has been mixed.

Some people praised the image, saying: "The photo taken by a high school girl captured natural smiles (of the imperial couple). I am glad" and "I was touched."

But there has also been a fair share of negative comments. One person tweeted: "I cannot possibly do or won't do such a thing. I do not want you to do this, either."

[ ... ]

imperial-tweet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom