What's new

I want to be Canadian!!

DragonChan said:
Brooker - as a Vancouverite I can tell you it is a wonderful place to live. It's very beautiful, and extremely multicultural. <--my favorite part about my city. ^_^

The only downside is all the tourists in the summer. Luckily they tend to visit places that us locals rarely go.

I am curious to know (as Brooker and I are both from Seattle) how people in Vancouver view their neighbors in Washington--and more specifically Seattle.

I can't say that I really have any great stereotypes of Canadians--and all I've ever known of Canada was British Columbia--Vancouver, Victoria, and Whistler. I don't think I ever heard "aboot" until South Park (the movie). I caught the occasional "eh", but not enough to fall into saying that all Canadians say it. I always think of Vancouver as a bigger and cooler Seattle. In many ways I feel I have more in comon with a Vancouverite than, say, a New Yorker.

But I'm sure there must be issues that come up between the two sides of the border that may not get the same attention in Seattle as they do in Vancouver...

Any thoughts?

Honestly most people I know think that Americans are people, just like everybody else, but a little eccentric about some stuff. IE: My sister claims that when she went to the states for a day, almost every single license plate had a sticker said something to do the war in Iraq.

Generally when people are talking about the states we're making some comment about how we don't like the military attitude right now, not anything about specific areas of the country. But every person thinks something different, it's hard to generalize.

I'm not too sure about the whole Vancouver - Seattle thing since I've only been in the states once, and I was 9. The only thing I really remember from that trip was thinking the money system was stupid since all the bills are the same colour - I had a hard time since I'm used to the different colours over here. :p

DragonChan said:
Honestly most people I know think that Americans are people, just like everybody else, but a little eccentric about some stuff. IE: My sister claims that when she went to the states for a day, almost every single license plate had a sticker said something to do the war in Iraq.

Yeah, we think that Americans are a bit eccentric about some stuff, too. E.g. the bumper stickers about the war in Iraq.

Yeah... trying to be a canadian citizen when you are born in the USA is a long and extensive process. I lived in Canada for over a decade before I became a citizen there....

Back
Top Bottom