What's new

I SEEK THE "REAL" TRUTH ??

Grandpa Frank

先輩
21 May 2003
A Yakusa that frequented the bar where I worked told me this story about his missing fingers. He had joined in the 1950's era. He said when you joined you removed the tip of your little finger as part of the membership ritual. He explained as you moved up in rank you could (by choice) remove more fingers to show your strength, bravery, and high standing. He said in the early days some of the top leaders had a hand removed to show, they were so powerful, with so many men working under them, the didn't need their hand.
Now, over & over in books & movies, I see digits were removed for major screw-ups. You cut off the finger in front of your boss that you offended or failed, and offered it to him as attonement for your failure.
Maybe it was one way in the good-ol-days and different now? Maybe the Yakusa I was talking with didn't want to admit his missing fingers were due to his mistakes? He seemed quite proud and I felt he was telling the truth, but now I'm not sure. It seems it would take an insider to tell the real facts, not just rumors people have heard? Anyone know the real skinny?

Frank

:?

Frank D. White said:
A Yakusa that frequented the bar where I worked told me this story about his missing fingers. He had joined in the 1950's era. He said when you joined you removed the tip of your little finger as part of the membership ritual. He explained as you moved up in rank you could (by choice) remove more fingers to show your strength, bravery, and high standing. He said in the early days some of the top leaders had a hand removed to show, they were so powerful, with so many men working under them, the didn't need their hand.
Now, over & over in books & movies, I see digits were removed for major screw-ups. You cut off the finger in front of your boss that you offended or failed, and offered it to him as attonement for your failure.
Maybe it was one way in the good-ol-days and different now? Maybe the Yakusa I was talking with didn't want to admit his missing fingers were due to his mistakes? He seemed quite proud and I felt he was telling the truth, but now I'm not sure. It seems it would take an insider to tell the real facts, not just rumors people have heard? Anyone know the real skinny?

Frank

Well, considering that honour and shame are really big things among the Japanese, I wouldn't be surprised if people twist the truth around to cover up shameful mistakes. But don't take my word for it, I'm not an expert on this subject.

Well, considering this to be in the post-war era, shame was not seen as very important to the Japanese as much as it was during the Militarist Era. So, the guy was prolly pulling your leg.

You got the second part right Frank !!!!When he commits a shamefull act or screws up he has to cut a piece off !!!Nothing more to it :sick:

Wouldn't want to be Yakuza...😆

I Wonder....

if there is any "hard" evidence? Is there a "book of rules" out there some where for Yakusa? There must be a well known historian of Japanese culture who has covered this. I want some believable documentation that I can concider the "truth";but then again, how can you tell with the criminal element who's telling the truth?

Frank

Remember the scene in Koroshiya Ichi when a load of Kakihara's clan leave him to join Suzuki (?)'s clan and as an atonement he takes all of their middle fingers and sends them gift wrapped to Kakihara.

Well, it just seems impractical to cut off fingers to show strength to me. But maybe that's just me. If you had a hand cut off you couldn't easily beat some guy who owed you money, could you?

When I encounter a Yakuza member I'll ask him ok ? :) *if I don't get back ever on the forum...you'll know where I am 😌 *

Glenn said:
Well, it just seems impractical to cut off fingers to show strength to me. But maybe that's just me. If you had a hand cut off you couldn't easily beat some guy who owed you money, could you?

The Japanese concepts of duty, "saving face," and honour are (and were even more deeply-rooted in pre-war Japan, especially during feudal Japan, when the Bushido was practised by the samurai), which is very foreign for a westener..:)

The duty and discipline were to an extent abused by the militaristic government during Second World War, when it goaded many young men into becoming kamikaze-pilots...

The "way of the Yakuza" can to an extent be compared to "the way of samurai," as the sense of duty is very important, and shame is unacceptable.

Shame is still something very serious still in modern Japan, especially among men. E.g. many husbands/fathers still consider it very shameful if they lose their jobs, with the consequence that they commit suicide or leave their families behind to live on the streets...

Back
Top Bottom