What's new

I need to buy a bunch of gifts for Japanese

JerseyBoy

Back in town
31 Dec 2005
I ask your help. I need to get several t-shirts or other types of clothing for Japanese friends/relatives. I am in New York/New Jersey. I am out of touch with Japanese fashion for so many years and I would like to ask you what "brand" of clothing I should get. I am looking for the middle of the road gifts, not too expensive but not cheap.

What about a Major league baseball team related item????? If your receipients are into baseball then a shirt or something from one of the teams with Japanese players may be something different for them.

For a New Jersey idea.....

how about something with a Sappranos theam. Lot of news about them with this being the last season.

Uncle Frank

:)

You know those "I Love New York" t-shirts would probably be a hit as well.

What about a Major league baseball team related item????? If your receipients are into baseball then a shirt or something from one of the teams with Japanese players may be something different for them.

I agree with that too, but those shirts are pretty expensive aren't they? The popularity of Matsuzaka, Ichiro and Matsui is really high here in Japan anything related to them would be pretty neat I bet.

If you are looking for something besides clothes, cookies or candy unique to New York/Jersey would be a popular gift as well.

Thank you for helpful suggestions. Baseball paraphernalia such as T-shirts and caps would be good gift items. I have to check which Japanese player is in which team as I myself is not into sports at all.
As far as food stuffs are concerned, I heard there are some tight restrictions for brining in those items into Japan.

There had been a thread of the same nature in the past:
The Great Omiyage Thread

I think the player who is "in" at the moment is Daisuke Matsuzaka, now No. 18 of the Boston Red Sox.

Ichiro has the biggest following in Japan. (Seattle Mariners)
Hideki Matsui places 2nd. (New York Yankees)
Tadahito Iguchi, a big name in the team but not as popular as the 3 mentioned above. (Chicago White Sox)
A newcomer in MLB currently doing well: Akinori Iwamura, Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Pitcher Kei Igawa of the New York Yankees (formerly Hanshin Tigers) is struggling to stay with the team at the moment, so be careful not to choose his number if you're leaving for Japan shortly. 😊

The Great Omiyage Thread
I am more interested in gift ideas based on the East Coast of USA as it looks more authentic simply because I have been here. I am just too lazy to go to the city to check up the stores (also I dread going to NYC anyway).
I appreciate any suggestion on this. Once I have some ideas on what to get, I will order them with Amazon.

The Great Omiyage Thread
I think the player who is "in" at the moment is Daisuke Matsuzaka, now No. 18 of the Boston Red Sox.
Ichiro has the biggest following in Japan. (Seattle Mariners)
Hideki Matsui places 2nd. (New York Yankees)
Tadahito Iguchi, a big name in the team but not as popular as the 3 mentioned above. (Chicago White Sox)
A newcomer in MLB currently doing well: Akinori Iwamura, Tampa Bay Devil Rays.
Pitcher Kei Igawa of the New York Yankees (formerly Hanshin Tigers) is struggling to stay with the team at the moment, so be careful not to choose his number if you're leaving for Japan shortly. 😊

Daisuke Matsuzaka is definitely 'in' at the moment. The Japanese press have been following his every move this spring since he joined the socks. Anything related to him is probably going to be a good choice (as long as the receipients are into baseball :D ). The bubble head characters sound a good idea. You could get a Matsuzaka, an Ichiro and a Matsui (Hideki not Kaz)??

Back
Top Bottom