What's new

I need help with getting to japan.

I get the feeling the "need" to get to Japan was actually more of a "want" to go to Japan.

heh - need/want same difference... all comes down to commitment

although i've definitely known people who NEED to be near a city far beyond "want" - country life's just not for everyone i guess!

No, it most definitely is not the same difference when it involves asking for the help of others, particularly strangers.

it's not like he's begging for money or anything though - sure it's a vague question that, as people have pointed out, everyone would like to know the answer to... but it's not like anyone's wasting huge amounts of time giving detailed answers to basic visa questions that have already been answered elsewhere - so i don't see any point at getting prickley about it.

or could be i'm just tired and am reading prickles where there aren't any. and as for remedying that - nap time!

thanks again for the info. I think here in about a month I will probably sell all my stuff and join WWOOF. I could probably get more than enough money for plane tickets by selling ym car. It seems like it could be an interesting experience and a cheap way into Japan :). I also agree, need and want are two different things. well thanks again

myrrhine said:
it's not like he's begging for money or anything though - sure it's a vague question that, as people have pointed out, everyone would like to know the answer to... but it's not like anyone's wasting huge amounts of time giving detailed answers to basic visa questions that have already been answered elsewhere - so i don't see any point at getting prickley about it.

or could be i'm just tired and am reading prickles where there aren't any. and as for remedying that - nap time!

No, it's not wasting time, but it is seeking help under somewhat misleading pretenses. The amount of time/effort people are willing to put into helping someone with a need differs from the amount they are willing to put into helping someone with a want.

Ok so it has been a long time with many ups and downs. Here is my story it a nutshell. Read it and hopefully learn from my mistakes.

The "need" to go to Japan was a "want". It involved a love one but I was still being hasty and a bit irrational. But as you can tell from my previous post I was young and stupid (still am) so that is to be expected I suppose.

Here is what I ended up trying.

1) Sold my stuff to get enough money to go as part of the WOOF program. I was able to get a good amount but it seemed too risky so I "chickened out".

2) I went to college and got a Bachelors Degree and tried to get into the JET program. It failed. :(

3) Made an online resume at gajinpot.com and applied for a bunch of teaching jobs in Japan. Again that failed. I guess I just did not seem qualified enough or something.

4) Was actually offered a Job teaching in Korea!!! I was hyped as that is another place I wanted to go. I got everything ready for it, packed my stuff quit my job, etc. A few weeks before leaving time I ended up realizing that even though I do want to visit Korea me taking the job was really just a quick desperate substitute for failing to get to go to Japan. I do want to go to Korea but I don't want to work there for a year... yet. So I ended up cancelling the Korea gig to continue "THE QUEST FOR JAPAN".

5) I got a TEFL certification from I-to-I to help me stand out a little on my resume. This was because I was applying for teaching jobs.

6) I applied to Interac and after many e-mails I GOT AN INTERVIEW. Later I got more interviews and was offered to join the Interac "team". Right now they are getting my Visa and I should be hearing from them soon to see where they will place me. Supposedly I should be leaving in late March early April to start the job. Hopefully this works out.

*This whole process lasted about three to four years and you want to know what, it flew by. So what I am trying to say is take your time and do things right. Don't try to be in a sudden rush like I was, that was silly.

Good things take time.

I have to say I'm highly impressed with you. I do hope you'll keep us updated as things go along.

interesting to see this thread revived. So is the love interest a driving force behind your desire to get to Japan or have you grown out of that too?

Well, I have to say he's quite dedicated... might do well in Japan. I hope you have been studying the language and other aspects in the mean time.

To: Nice gajin,
Nah the love interest is no longer part of the picture. :(
Anouther situation to grow and evolve from... I guess. But enough about that.

I'm sorry to hear that, but in a way, it's far more encouraging this way. Good luck with your endeavors!

I read the topic from the beginning just now and I can say that I was about 85% right on what was going to happen before I read his newest post. 😊

I don't know if it will help you, but I can tell you another method to stay an indefinite time in any country, although it will cost you money every couple of months.

Even if you have ZERO academic and professional credentials, just enter Japan, or any country for that matter, with a tourist visa, then, once in the country, apply for a permanent visa, probably failing that, switch your application for a temporary visa, failing that as well, apply for a business visa, failing that, apply for a student visa, failing that, repeat the cycle.

The Government of the country you applied to is legally required to always issue a bridging visa for you for as long as they assess your application and come to a decision, which usually takes several months.

My parents did that with the Australian Government, I stayed there for four years and when I was done with the country, I just moved to somewhere else.

Might come across as stupid, but if it works, then it works. :)

Remixer

Hey dreamer,

yes, as Drew-san pointed out, I mentioned that it will cost money, which, in essence, is the application procedure.

I just told my lawyer back in Sydney to always change the visa application and resubmit it, as such, you don't need to hassle with anything, pay the money, and live your life. :)

Remixer

Ok I am back. Sorry it took me so long. It is time to finish this story.

I have now been in Japan for two months and I am an English Teacher with Interac. I teach at two high schools in Miyako, Iwate. So far things are going well. I am enjoying the smaller town and being able to ride a bike everywhere. Overall I am enjoying things and am happy to be in Japan.

Now I just need to find a cute Japanese girlfriend.:)

Back
Top Bottom