What's new

How to use 互いに/の and 交互に?

matt9210

Registered
12 Aug 2014
Hey everyone :)
Could someone help with this please?

What's the difference between 互いの and 互いに? Could you give me examples for each please?

I also don't understand how to use 交互に. For example, I want to say "We alternated between buses and taxis to get to the airport". In English, the verb is "alternated", but as 交互に is an adverb, though we don't need to say it in English, would I need to say バスとタクシーを交互に乗りました/行きました? Is there a verb in Japanese for "to alternate" to make for a more literal translation?

What's the difference between 互いの and 互いに? Could you give me examples for each please?
"Attributive" vs "adverb", as in "mutual" vs "mutually" in English.
私たちは互いの顔を見つめ合いながら互いに微笑んだ。

I also don't understand how to use 交互に. For example, I want to say "We alternated between buses and taxis to get to the airport". In English, the verb is "alternated", but as 交互に is an adverb, though we don't need to say it in English, would I need to say バスとタクシーを交互に乗りました/行きました? Is there a verb in Japanese for "to alternate" to make for a more literal translation?
交互に繰り返す would be the most literal translation, but there is no all‐purpose one in Japanese. For instance, I would say バスとタクシーを交互に乗り継ぎながら空港まで行きました in your example.

Back
Top Bottom