What's new

How can I make Ramen from everyday ingredients?

lv426

先輩
27 Jan 2005
Hi,

When I went to japan in the sumer I got hooked on ramen and even went with my friend to the ramen museum, now I'm at uni I have actually started to cook for my self. Sofar I have manged to make katsudon, but with chicken instead of lamb cutlets like they use in yoshinoiya's.
But that turned out really good so I want to cook more japanese food ;) and impress my house mates lol.

But yeah is there an easy way to make ramen, now I know you can by dried egg noodles. So that parts sorted, but how to make the totemo oishii soup that goes with it. There's also that thin slice of pork that usually goes with it, and some other herbs.

Can anyone give me a recepie for this, preferably using everyday ingredients. Any other easy to make Japanese recepies would be great as well, thanks :)

According to member Hiroyuki Nagashima there are 4 major varieties. I guess you could narrow down your search once after you know which kind you want to make, which would also help you find (or someone direct you to) a workable recipe for your choice.

"Shinasobaya"
新横浜ラーメン博物館

This is Tokyo ramen 🙂
It is soy sauce ramen.
The soup added soy sauce to bird Gullah soup. 🍜

"How to make various ramen soup"
(Only Japanese/Photograph explanation of making)
http://www.mendo.jp/origin/040424/do_supu.html
OTHER
http://oyabaka.babymilk.jp/
大勝軒 代々木上原 坂上

A method to easily make soy sauce ramen
(Only Japanese)
http://homepage2.nifty.com/nyami/kantan1.htm

How to make noodles(Only Japanese)
ラーメンの麺の作り方(男の趣肴HP)fr
http://lamen.web.infoseek.co.jp/tukurikata/seimen/seimen.htm

Translation to English please use this site. :sorry:
http://www.infoseek.co.jp/Honyaku?pg=honyaku_top.html

It is not that hard to make ramen at home. It just takes some time to make everything from scratch, but the ingredients you need should be available at your local grocery store. You will be surprised how good fresh noodles taste compared to dry ones.

Here is very basic recipe for "Shouyu Ramen(Soy base soup)

For the soup:
Boil water in a large pot. Simmer at least 4 hours,
2 lbs chicken bones, cleaned and cut in large pieces
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 inches ginger, peeled
1 carrot, peeled
a bunch of green onions, cleaned
1 onion, peeled
Skim often and strain.

For the sauce:
Saute in thick bottomed pot(ideally cast iron) over high heat,
2~3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 inch ginger, peeled and sliced
3~4 green onions, cleaned
When the vegetables are starting to brown, add
2 lbs pork loin, uncut
turn it to brown on all sides and add,
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbs white wine
3~4 cups chicken stock to cover the meat

Simmer the meat until cooked through, turning and braising with the liquid in the pot frequently for about 4 hours. When the meat is done, discard the vegetables and skim the fat. The liquid that's left in the pot is the sauce for your ramen.

You can use any toppings you like. Spinach, bean sprouts, roasted pork(you've made to make the sauce), green onions are common toppings.
Good luck and have fun!

Excellent mate, one question. Would this just be for one person. I checked out the other pages as well :)

lv426,
If you are asking about my recipe, no, it's not only for one person.
There is going to be enough for 3~4 people.

If you're in a pinch you can make one of the instant ramens (top, maruchan, sapporo ichiban etc) and add soy sauce, meat and produce to it.

I recommend kakesomen; all you need are the noodles, tsuyu, some green onions and a bit of wasabi. Makes for a great quick lunch/snack.

Easiest fab instant ramen noodle recipe

Cook the soup powder with not "boiling water", but "dashi soup".
I know it is a bit hard to get dried kelp and dried bonito shavings, so buy instant dashi powder and dilute it for the dashi soup.
And cook the noodle 30 second earlier than instruction.

With the ramen soup with dashi, your cheap instant noodle turns into 4 or 5 pound worth ramen.

This recipe is from "Kazuko Hosogi", the most influential J woman.

Excellent method, Pipokun. I've tried similar methods of using cheap instant ramen noodles for other dishes, and never been disappointed. I'd say boiling the noodles for 30 seconds less is a good way to keep the noodle from bloating, and if you flush it in cool, running water, the noodle shrinks and lasts longer while preparation. The texture becomes super manageable by the cooling, very much like tempering iron for sword making. There should be a good variety of easy-to-make dry soup base - I haven't tried the cool dashi soup, but it sure sounds good. Now I have a question; *do you heat the soup after dissolving the dashi in drinking water ?* (edit: please disregard from * to *; misunderstood meaning. The question should be...) do you add the dashi soup base before boiling the noodles or after the boiling ?

Last edited:
The dashi soup is usually prepared as hot one, so you put the soup and dashi powder in hot water, I mean the water you cook noodle.

To lv426,
I heard cooking classes for the young is getting popular in your country.

I don't think you should be too aggressive to become like a Jamie Oliver from your start. Maybe adding something in cooked meals would be a good first step for you. And then, your lazy, I_hate_cooking, partner would be your next great step. :)

lol cool, thanks guys lots of great recepies here. So for the dashi soup should I be able to find that at an ordinary supermarket?
Aparently there is a Japanese girl across from us who is cooking for all these other Japanese people, might have to get her to show me a few recepies :)

If anyone is intrested, this is my quick recepie for Katsudon.

For one person:
Rice for one person, add half a chicken stock cube and onion powder.
Take a lamb cutlet or chicken breast, fry till cooked.
Slick into pices, and place on rice.
Crack an egg on top, place in oven.
Remove when most of the white is white :)

I think that fairly near to what katsudon is, is there anything to add to that. I know that chicken stock is not usually used, but it adds a little flavour ;)

they all sound so delish

I want to try them all right now but I can't, so I'll have to try the idea I had for quick ramen without Instant Noodles or Ramen Blocks.

Back
Top Bottom