What's new

Making A Ramen or just somthing simple?

Robster

後輩
6 Mar 2007
I have had the urge to try something new, cooking wise. Since I have never made anything oriental before I thought I would try Ramen, if that is possible to do simply, if not anything would be awesome. So if you have any basic recipes with easy to get ingredients that would be much appreciated.

Where do you live Robster - what I mean is, do you have access to a supermarket (English or Oriental) that sells Japanese ingredients?

If you do, i'd say Nabe is the easiest (and one of the most delicious!) dishes you could try, you can't go wrong!

Basic ramen should be simple to get where you are at... boil the water, when it comes to a boil, put the ramen in for THREE minutes, any more and it will be too soft... pour it into a bowl with the ramen just poking frm the water, and add the packets, 1 = crap 2 = good, 3 = very good... consume w/ hashi...

I have looked in the store, there is no Instant Ramen stuff, the only thing I could find is Instant Miso Soup :p Maybe I could use that for somthing, and as far as I am aware there is no Oriental store near were I live :eek:

I don't know if the instant miso soup you bought is a paste one or a powdered one.
Vegetable Stick Salad with Miso Mayonnaise
Serves 4
Ingredients:
Miso 25 g
Carrot 1 small stick
Asparagus 4 stalks
Radish 1/6 piece
Celery 1 stalk
Cucumber 1 piece
Mayonnaise 100g

Directions:
Slice all vegetables lengthwise into sticks. (For asparagus, slice after boiling in salt water.) Rinse in cold water and strain water for about five minutes.
Mix Miso well with mayonnaise. Serve vegetables with the Miso-mayonnaise dip.
http://www.marukome.co.jp/english/erecipe2.html

Grilled eggplants
Spread the miso mayo on sliced egg plants and grill them in an electiric oven.

Instant miso soup with soy milk
Just boil soy milk and mix it well with the instant miso soup. It tastes different from ordinary miso soup and it is more nutritious.

It's the powdered kind, I had Miso Soup at Wagamama today, so I will be able to compare it.

I heard people love spag bol in your country.
Try to add the miso powder in left-over spag bal, then heat it. The amount of powder depends upon how much you like miso taste.
I suppose you can taste a different flavor.

So could I make a simple ramen, by making so Miso Soup, then putting noodles and stuff like that in there?

It's the powdered kind, I had Miso Soup at Wagamama today, so I will be able to compare it.
I went to the Wagamama in Dublin once. It was the biggest pile of.. Well, it suffices to say that I didn't like it all. I hope yours is better. 😌

Robster,
I haven't tried it myself but I believe you can make a miso ramen with an instant miso soup powder/paste.
I found some articles/posts where they say they like to add Miso soup powder/paste in their ramen. (Yes, "add", but there seems to exist miso soup ramen. Sorry, I can't tralnslate it right now...)
But...I'm just wondering how you could get the meng noodle itself?? :unsure:

Cue

Where do you live in the United Kingdom? I almost garuntee I could find you an Asian grocery store if you give me a general idea of where you live...

Ramen, Miso, these things are not that difficult... even the big grocery store where I live sells Udon...

I went to the Wagamama in Dublin once. It was the biggest pile of.. Well, it suffices to say that I didn't like it all. I hope yours is better.
Yeah, it's pretty dross wherever you go.

(I thought this would be appended as normal as a double post, as has been occurring recently..... hmmmmm....)

There is a book and a website with hundreds of simple ramen recipes, just search for easy ramen recipes.

Make one package beef flavor ramen, drain half the soup add sourcream, parsley, onions or onion powder...instant stroganoff...you can "beef it up" with some prepackaged sandwich meat chopped up or crumble a leftover hamburger. (oh I forgot the can/fresh mushrooms if you like them)

Ok, it's certainly not asian, but it's still ramen. Cheap, fast and reliable food! What makes it so great that you can experiment with it and if you don't like what you have made...it doesn't matter because you haven't spent lots of money.

I was able to get ramen in Scotland. They had a great brand that came with a little packet of hot red peppers...mmm...I miss that flavor.

I live nearish London, sadly not close enough to easily get there, though I am going there soon so I may pick up some stuff, I live in a city called St.Albans, but I dunno if you will have heard of it. The Wagamamas here is good, though I have heard reports of other ones being kinda crap.
@ Goldiegirl, I'll search that and see if there are any good ones, thanks for the tip
@Cue, I doubt I will, but they do simple noodles there, sadly I believe they are Chinese style, not Japanese, though I have little choice

I live nearish London, sadly not close enough to easily get there, though I am going there soon so I may pick up some stuff, I live in a city called St.Albans, but I dunno if you will have heard of it.
I've actually lived in St. Albans for quite a bit over a span of some time, at least a good few months worth to know the area, while working nearby in Potter's Bar...

I lived often, off London Road... I know, it's quite a treck from St. Albans to London, and murder if you have to get home from London by cab.. you'll spend more money on your ride home than your evening out.

Try here:

Asian Food Store
81 Hatfield Road
St Albans Hertfordshire AL1 4JL

Tel: 01727 830708

Hatfield road isn't all that far from London road as I remember, probably in walking distance, I probably know more about the pubs in St. Albans than road directions, but I forget their names, and proprietors...

Good luck.

Wagamama

Is there a wagamama there near you? Here in Belgium there's also one! And there are a lot of Ramen you can choose!!
here are some recipes in Belgium:
yaki soba
we've got an exclusive extract from the wagamama cookbook, which features over 130 fully illustrated recipes with many of your favourites from the menu plus some exclusive dishes created by our head chefs - available here
stir fried chicken and prawns with soba noodles and pickled ginger
this dish has become known as yaki soba even though, traditionally, it doesn't use soba noodles. you can use ramen instead if you prefer, as we do in the restaurants
in japan there are four main types of noodles: ramen (chinese style), soba (wholemeal), udon (thick and white) and somen (thin and white). does it matter which ones you use? not really, but as with pasta, spaghetti bolognese just isn't the same if you don't use spaghetti
110g (4oz) soba noodles
2 tablespoons yaki soba sauce
1 small onion, peeled and cut into half-moon slices
4 spring onions, trimmed and cut into 2.5 cm (1in) lengths
large handful of bean sprouts
15 small cooked peeled prawns
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
1/2 red pepper, trimmed, de seeded and cubed
1/2 green pepper, trimmed, de seeded and cubed
2 eggs, beaten
to serve
25g (1oz) pickled ginger
1 tablespoon dried shallots
1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
cook the noodles in a large pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes until just tender. drain and refresh under cold running water
put the yaki soba sauce, the onion, spring onion, bean sprouts and prawns in a large bowl and mix in the noodles
heat a wok over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes or until completely hot and almost smoking and add the vegetable oil. add the chicken and red and green peppers and stir fry for 2 minutes. add the noodles and vegetables to the wok and stir fry quickly for 3 minutes until warmed through. add the eggs and continue to stir fry for a further minute or until the eggs are just cooked. serve with the pickled ginger, shallots and sesame seeds
yaki soba dipping sauce with soy sauce, sugar and salt makes about 125ml (4fl oz)
100ml (31/2fl oz) light soy sauce
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
put all the ingredients in a small pan and bring to the boil. lower the heat right down and simmer for 10 minutes. once cool, it will keep for a few weeks in the fridge.

here's the Menu list:
http://www.wagamama.be/downloads/menus/antwerp_english.pdf

Recipe for Yakisoba? I'm quite content eating these:

l-1.jpg

Yummy.. Ow, click the picture if you want to see a old-school CM of Nissin UFO yakisoba.. 😊

That's an insanely complicated ramen recipie, indeed!

Ah, the beauty of Wagamama's - take something very simple - a largely sacrosanct Japanese standard, nonetheless - and change it, dress it up! And, of course, add a couple of quid on for the 'refinement' lol.

How I miss the days of cooking my own at local shops in Japan. Customer orders yakisoba/okonomiyaki/monja. Chef brings a bowl. Customer mixes it round a bit, pops it on the hot plate, and eats...😌

Nevertheless, it does sound like a very tasty recipe, and it's far simpler than most of the dishes I cook everyday. Can't wait to try it, cheers Kayo!

ITADAKIMASU... IAM indonesian. i want make ramen or sukiyaki? or sushi... what kind of fish for make sushi?

Slice your favorit fish
Sprinkle salt and pepper
Dust fish with flour
Saute it in a pan
Wipe out all excessive oil after the fish is cooked
Add 2 tbsp soy sauce and 2 tbsp honey
Saute fish and the sauce well.

This is the very basic teriyaki fish recipe by Okuzono, and the flavor, sweet and soy sauce, is what Japanese loves for ages.

Back
Top Bottom