What's new

Hi!

Richard Sharpe

Registered
3 Sep 2014
Hi,

It's a pleasure to join this forum and I'm looking forward to learning about the more traditional, historical aspects of Japan and its people. I'm not much into anime, manga, and the like so I'm not going to be of much use in discussions that relate to Japanese popular culture. I guess I'm a bit of an old fogey but I'm more acclimatized to literature, history, culture, and the like be it Western or Eastern.

I chose my name from the main character of Bernard Cornwell's excellent series of novels about a the adventures of a fictional British soldier in the Napoleonic period. Think of James Bond as being a soldier rather than as a spy.

I'm not sure what else to say since introductions on internet forums aren't something I'm good at.

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum Richard. I haven't read the books but remember seeing him on TV in the UK..... A good ripping yarn as they say.

Have you read the Flashman series? One of the great anti heroes.

Welcome to the forum Richard. I haven't read the books but remember seeing him on TV in the UK..... A good ripping yarn as they say.

Have you read the Flashman series? One of the great anti heroes.

The books inspired the TV show with and afterwards Bernard Cornwell wrote the Sharpe novels with Sean Bean's portrayal of the character of Richard Sharpe in mind and he went from being a bit of an anti-hero to a rather heroic fellow in his own way. I began to read the books before I saw any of the Sharpe television movies.

I think Sharpe's Trafalgar is the best book in the series and it's a real a pity that wasn't made into a BBC program.

Sharpe's Trafalgar - Wikipedia

I've not heard of the Flashman-series of books. Can you extrapolate?

The books inspired the TV show with and afterwards Bernard Cornwell wrote the Sharpe novels with Sean Bean's portrayal of the character of Richard Sharpe in mind and he went from being a bit of an anti-hero to a rather heroic fellow in his own way. I began to read the books before I saw any of the Sharpe television movies.

I think Sharpe's Trafalgar is the best book in the series and it's a real a pity that wasn't made into a BBC program.

Sharpe's Trafalgar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've not heard of the Flashman-series of books. Can you extrapolate?

Harry Flashman is the school bully character from the book Tom Brown's School days. He was later made the lead character in a series of 12 novels which follow his 'dastardly' adventures in The British army in 19th century, India and Afghanistan.
They are very funny and a great read if you want to escape the politically correct world we now live in!!

Back
Top Bottom