What's new

Have you ever been to Makabe?

thejapanguy

先輩
12 Nov 2010
I went to Makabe last Friday with some students of mine, because of the holiday and all.

I must say I REALLY enjoyed it. We actually went to check out the Hina Matsuri dolls display happening all over the town. I think they start a bit early in Makabe and it goes on until Hina Matsuri officially starts.

It's a town that's about a forty-five minute drive from Tsukuba, and it seems like the town that time forgot. There were lots of traditional, Japanese-style houses, buildings, and restaurants. I was a peaceful town with more elderly people, but they were all really friendly. Being that I'm on the taller side, people made lots of comments about my height (the houses and things clearly weren't designed for me:) ), but it was all in good fun.

If you have a chance, and you're in the Ibaraki area, Makabe might be a cool place for you to visit.

Sounds cool. Maybe one of these trips I will get a chance to visit it but as we usually stay in the Kansai area and we now have a little one I think it will be a while. I love seeing the little, out of the way, towns that time forgot. Did it have a train station with a thatched roof and a fire burning in the middle of it? We were to a town, I forget the name, near Aizuwakamatsu that was all traditional houses and had a train station like that. It was great to visit! :) We were picked up by a single diesel powered passenger car train (think of a bus on the tracks, thats what it looked like).

Back
Top Bottom