What's new

News Guide Michelin showers 200 Tokyo restaurants with 263 stars

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Food news that will make the hearts of Tokyo's gourmets beat faster: for 2023, Guide Michelin has awarded 263 stars to some 200 restaurants.

In the Michelin Guide Tokyo 2023, 200 restaurants in the Japanese capital were awarded stars, and a further 222 were given the Bib Gourmand award indicating eateries that serve exceptional food for more affordable prices. There were no changes to Tokyo's crop of 12 three-Michelin-starred restaurants, which include Kohaku and RyuGin. Two new names — Nishiazabu's Myoujyaku and Marunouchi's Sezanne — climbed the ladder from one to two stars for a total of 39, and 16 eateries earned their inaugural stars in the 2023 edition for a total of 149. Overall, Tokyo's fine dining scene received 263 stars.

I've heard that it's incredibly stressful to get Michelin stars, the pressure to maintain or improve on that level of excellence has driven some chefs mad.

Might have to check out those bib gourmand places though. I wonder what they consider "affordable" these days.

Might have to check out those bib gourmand places though. I wonder what they consider "affordable" these days.

I was curious, too, and checked their menus. Most of these posh places do not list prices. One restaurant stated that their dinner sets *started* at 5,000 JPY per person.

I was curious, too, and checked their menus. Most of these posh places do not list prices. One restaurant stated that their dinner sets *started* at 5,000 JPY per person.
I guess that's reasonable compared to one that starts at 30,000 apiece...

Back
Top Bottom