What's new

Great grandpa pictures

Puroresu

Registered
23 Apr 2020
WhatsApp Image 2020-04-09 at 11.17.43 AM.jpeg

Hello!

My great-grandpa moved from Japan to Mexico at the beginning of the 20th century, I currently live in Canada and came across some old pictures grandma kept from him. This picture was sent by his brother and it is the only thing we have from him.

During WWII, he burnt all his paperwork from Japan and became a Mexican citizen to avoid issues with the government, he adopted the name Luis Yoshizaki; but we are not sure of his original name or even DOB. We think his Japanese name was Shohei.

I would be most grateful if someone could help me to at least confirm the last name or any other information we can gather from these pictures.

Thanks a lot in advance.

upper-left picture
安太郎
1. Yasutarō

upper-right picture
写真右より1 上
(安行の妻) 山本フミエ(46才)
(ユクノのメイ) 河野キクエ(37才)
(昭次の妻) 星原ヒサ子(28才)
(正義の妻) 吉崎ミツノ(36才)
(安行の長男) 山本陸男(19才)
崎正義(43才)
原昭次(33才)
upper side of the picture, from right
2. Yamamoto Fumie 46 years old (Yasuyuki's wife)
3. Kōno/Kawano Kikue 37 (Yukuno's niece)
4. Hosihara Hisako 28 (Shōji's wife)
5. Yoshizaki Mitsuno 36 (Masayoshi's wife)
6. Yamamoto Rikuo 19 (Yasuyuki's eldest son)
7. Yoshizaki Masayoshi 43
8. Hoshihara Shōji 33

山本安行(46才)-安太郎の長
山本安太郎(72才)
山本ユクノ(61才)-安太郎の妻
山本高吉(25才)-安太郎の?男
山本?藤(15才)-安行の二男
middle side of the picture
9. Yamamoto Yasuyuki 46 - Yasutarō's eldest son
1. Yamamoto Yasutarō 72
10. Yamamoto Yukuno 61 - Yasutarō's wife
11. Yamamoto Kōkichi/Takayoshi 25 (Yasutarō's ?th son)
12. Yamamoto ?? 15 (Yasuyuki's second son)

本田百合子(12才)-ユクノのメイの?女
河野通(14才)-キクエの長
山本美奈子(12才)-安行の二女
星原洋一(7才)-昭次の長男
山本敏子(14才)-安行の長女
山本秋夫(10才)-安行の三男
lower side of the picture
13. Honda Yuriko 12 - Yukuno's niece's ?th daughter
14. Kōno/Kawano Tōru 14 - Kikue's eldest son
15. Yamamoto Minako 12 - Yasuyuki's second daughter
16. Hoshihara Yōichi 7 Shōji's eldest son
17. Yamamoto Toshiko 14 Yasuyuki's eldest daughter
18. Yamamoto Akio 10 Yasuyuki's third son

lower-left picture
吉崎正義(27才)
本ミツノ(22才)
7. Yoshizaki Masayoshi 27
5. Yamamoto Mitsuno 22
(They were not married yet at the time, so Masayoshi's wife's maiden name was Yamamoto.)

lower-right picture
吉崎はるよ
田上ミソヨ
(前にだいてるのが田上?キ)
写真
吉崎みつの
山本ユクノ
吉崎正義
山本安太郎
吉崎政身
野村シマ
谷川?子
19. Yoshizaki Haruyo
20. Tanoue/Tagami Misoyo
(the one she is holding in front of her is
21. Tanoue/Tagami ?ki)*
5. Yoshizaki Mitsuno
10. Yamamoto Yukuno
7. Yoshizaki Masayoshi
1. Yamamoto Yasutarō
22. Yoshizaki Masami
23. Nomura Shima
24. Tanigawa ?ko
*(Maybe a woman is holding a photo? If so, the name of the one in the picture is Tanoue/Tagami ?ki.)

The red texts are my presumptions for the missing parts. If your great-grand father's surname was Yoshizaki, and his brother sent those pictures to him, I think Yoshizaki Masayoshi was the brother. Most people in the pictures were Masayoshi's wife's family members, i.e., Yamamoto family. Hoshihara Hisako would be also Yasutarō's daughter, I think.

EDIT:
Here's their family tree.
family tree.jpg
19~24. The relations are uncertain. 22. Yoshizaki Masami would be Masayoshi's relative (son, brother or like that).

Last edited:
upper-left picture
安太郎
1. Yasutarō

upper-right picture
写真右より1 上
(安行の妻) 山本フミエ(46才)
(ユクノのメイ) 河野キクエ(37才)
(昭次の妻) 星原ヒサ子(28才)
(正義の妻) 吉崎ミツノ(36才)
(安行の長男) 山本陸男(19才)
崎正義(43才)
原昭次(33才)
upper side of the picture, from right
2. Yamamoto Fumie 46 years old (Yasuyuki's wife)
3. Kōno/Kawano Kikue 37 (Yukuno's niece)
4. Hosihara Hisako 28 (Shōji's wife)
5. Yoshizaki Mitsuno 36 (Masayoshi's wife)
6. Yamamoto Rikuo 19 (Yasuyuki's eldest son)
7. Yoshizaki Masayoshi 43
8. Hoshihara Shōji 33

山本安行(46才)-安太郎の長
山本安太郎(72才)
山本ユクノ(61才)-安太郎の妻
山本高吉(25才)-安太郎の?男
山本?藤(15才)-安行の二男
middle side of the picture
9. Yamamoto Yasuyuki 46 - Yasutarō's eldest son
1. Yamamoto Yasutarō 72
10. Yamamoto Yukuno 61 - Yasutarō's wife
11. Yamamoto Kōkichi/Takayoshi 25 (Yasutarō's ?th son)
12. Yamamoto ?? 15 (Yasuyuki's second son)

本田百合子(12才)-ユクノのメイの?女
河野通(14才)-キクエの長
山本美奈子(12才)-安行の二女
星原洋一(7才)-昭次の長男
山本敏子(14才)-安行の長女
山本秋夫(10才)-安行の三男
lower side of the picture
13. Honda Yuriko 12 - Yukuno's niece's ?th daughter
14. Kōno/Kawano Tōru 14 - Kikue's eldest son
15. Yamamoto Minako 12 - Yasuyuki's second daughter
16. Hoshihara Yōichi 7 Shōji's eldest son
17. Yamamoto Toshiko 14 Yasuyuki's eldest daughter
18. Yamamoto Akio 10 Yasuyuki's third son

lower-left picture
吉崎正義(27才)
本ミツノ(22才)
7. Yoshizaki Masayoshi 27
5. Yamamoto Mitsuno 22
(They were not married yet at the time, so Masayoshi's wife's maiden name was Yamamoto.)

lower-right picture
吉崎はるよ
田上ミソヨ
(前にだいてるのが田上?キ)
写真
吉崎みつの
山本ユクノ
吉崎正義
山本安太郎
吉崎政身
野村シマ
谷川?子
19. Yoshizaki Haruyo
20. Tanoue/Tagami Misoyo
(the one she is holding in front of her is
21. Tanoue/Tagami ?ki)*
5. Yoshizaki Mitsuno
10. Yamamoto Yukuno
7. Yoshizaki Masayoshi
1. Yamamoto Yasutarō
22. Yoshizaki Masami
23. Nomura Shima
24. Tanigawa ?ko
*(Maybe a woman is holding a photo? If so, the name of the one in the picture is Tanoue/Tagami ?ki.)

The red texts are my presumptions for the missing parts. If your great-grand father's surname was Yoshizaki, and his brother sent those pictures to him, I think Yoshizaki Masayoshi was the brother. Most people in the pictures were Masayoshi's wife's family members, i.e., Yamamoto family. Hoshihara Hisako would be also Yasutarō's daughter, I think.

EDIT:
Here's their family tree.
View attachment 31699
19~24. The relations are uncertain. 22. Yoshizaki Masami would be Masayoshi's relative (son, brother or like that).

Thank you very much for such a detailed translation, it solves some of the questions we had about the pictures. Thanks a lot! :)

View attachment 31685

Hello!

My great-grandpa moved from Japan to Mexico at the beginning of the 20th century, I currently live in Canada and came across some old pictures grandma kept from him. This picture was sent by his brother and it is the only thing we have from him.

During WWII, he burnt all his paperwork from Japan and became a Mexican citizen to avoid issues with the government, he adopted the name Luis Yoshizaki; but we are not sure of his original name or even DOB. We think his Japanese name was Shohei.

I would be most grateful if someone could help me to at least confirm the last name or any other information we can gather from these pictures.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Hi! my name is kenichi yamamoto(山本) from Japan.
Please show me your picture opposite side.
I want to see their face
Because my granpa named yasutarou(安太郎).
bye

Last edited by a moderator:
Is your grandmother's name 山本ユクノ?
Do you have uncles whose names are 山本安行 or 山本高吉, or aunts whose names are 吉崎ミツノ or 星原ヒサ子?
Are your cousins 山本陸男, 山本?藤, 山本秋夫, (旧姓)山本敏子, (旧姓)山本美奈子 or 星原洋一?
Have you ever heard these names?
Do you know your grandfather's birth year?

The OP (original poster、つまりこのスレッドの開始者) も最初にお書きになっている通り、彼の曽祖父はメキシコでルイス・ヨシザキと名乗られていて、日本名はショウヘイだろうと推測されています。つまり最も可能性があると思われる名前はショウヘイ・ヨシザキで、ソウヘイ・ヤマモトではありません。

「これらの写真は兄弟から送られた」とありますから、その兄弟が吉崎正義氏であろう、というのが上記の通り私の推測です。この推測が正しい場合、吉崎正義氏とショウヘイ氏、つまり彼の曽祖父は同世代でしょうから、山本安太郎氏はショウヘイ氏の30歳前後年上ということになります。「曽祖父は20世紀初頭に日本からメキシコに渡った」とありますから、たとえそれが彼が赤ん坊の時であったとしても、山本安太郎氏は若くても1870年前後、つまり幕末から明治初頭頃のお生まれという推定が成り立ちます。あなたの御祖父に当たる山本安太郎氏はその頃、あるいはもっと前のお生まれなのでしょうか。これが私が誕生年をお聞きした理由です。

もちろん写真以外の記録が残っていないわけですから、ショウヘイではなくソウヘイが正しいとか、何らかの事情でヤマモトとヨシザキが入れ替わってしまった、あるいは兄弟でも親子ほど年が違う、などというような可能性も当然ありえます。ですから、写真の山本安太郎氏とあなたのおじい様が同一人物であるという可能性ももちろんゼロではありません。ただ、ご存知の通り山本姓は極めて一般的な苗字であり、安太郎という名前も特段珍しいというわけではありませんから、単なる同姓同名に過ぎないのかもしれません。

ところで、あなたの大叔父/大伯父君に当たる山本惣平氏は20世紀初頭にメキシコに移民されたのでしょうか。

"安太郎と惣平は兄弟です。"

It is very interesting to know this. My grandma insisted that his father's name was "Sogei" (Spanish spelling for Sohei), I assumed it was Shohei since it is a name I know it's common in Japan, so it is also possible that the real name is Sohei. Also, she insisted that Yasutaro was her father's brother, we also believed that since Yasutaro and Sohei look physically similar to each other. I will share the picture.

The OP (original poster、つまりこのスレッドの開始者) も最初にお書きになっている通り、彼の曽祖父はメキシコでルイス・ヨシザキと名乗られていて、日本名はショウヘイだろうと推測されています。つまり最も可能性があると思われる名前はショウヘイ・ヨシザキで、ソウヘイ・ヤマモトではありません。

「これらの写真は兄弟から送られた」とありますから、その兄弟が吉崎正義氏であろう、というのが上記の通り私の推測です。この推測が正しい場合、吉崎正義氏とショウヘイ氏、つまり彼の曽祖父は同世代でしょうから、山本安太郎氏はショウヘイ氏の30歳前後年上ということになります。「曽祖父は20世紀初頭に日本からメキシコに渡った」とありますから、たとえそれが彼が赤ん坊の時であったとしても、山本安太郎氏は若くても1870年前後、つまり幕末から明治初頭頃のお生まれという推定が成り立ちます。あなたの御祖父に当たる山本安太郎氏はその頃、あるいはもっと前のお生まれなのでしょうか。これが私が誕生年をお聞きした理由です。

もちろん写真以外の記録が残っていないわけですから、ショウヘイではなくソウヘイが正しいとか、何らかの事情でヤマモトとヨシザキが入れ替わってしまった、あるいは兄弟でも親子ほど年が違う、などというような可能性も当然ありえます。ですから、写真の山本安太郎氏とあなたのおじい様が同一人物であるという可能性ももちろんゼロではありません。ただ、ご存知の通り山本姓は極めて一般的な苗字であり、安太郎という名前も特段珍しいというわけではありませんから、単なる同姓同名に過ぎないのかもしれません。

ところで、あなたの大叔父/大伯父君に当たる山本惣平氏は20世紀初頭にメキシコに移民されたのでしょうか。

I am still trying to understand the dates, thank you very much for the detailed analysis. I called my grandma and she thinks she has a letter with more information. Once she finds it I will share it with you.

Here is the front of the picture; in the top left, Yasutaro Yamamoto, and the bottom left, Luis Yoshizaki. Thanks a lot and sorry for the delay in replying. I had to get permission from my grandma to post the pictures. I also found out that my great-grandpa was born in 1890; we know his maternal family name is Kamura or Tamura. Thanks again.

family.jpeg

Last edited:
My grandma insisted that his father's name was "Sogei" (Spanish spelling for Sohei), I assumed it was Shohei since it is a name I know it's common in Japan, so it is also possible that the real name is Sohei. Also, she insisted that Yasutaro was her father's brother
Wait, wait, those are incredibly important information! Then, that clearly explains the reason why those pictures are mostly about Yamamoto family, and it's quite possible that kenichi-san is really your relative!

@kenichi さん、写真の山本安太郎氏はあなたのおじい様でしょうか。それと、ソウヘイ氏の母方の姓は田村かカムラ(嘉村?鹿村?)だそうですが、恐らく同一であろうおじい様の安太郎氏の母方の姓もそうなのでしょうか。さらに、大叔父/大伯父君の山本惣平氏はメキシコに移民されたのでしょうか。もしそうなら、Puroresu さんはあなたの親族でほぼ間違いないと思われますが。

Last edited:
Hi my father is takayoshi(高吉). My father says Souhei have gone to Mexico. Souhei marriaged in mexico. He never back to Japan.
I have met many person in your picture.
Souhei shipped to mexico from Kumamoto in Japan.
I will show takayoshi your picture .

Wow!! Then, Puroresu-san is kenichi-san's second cousin's son (はとこの子). It's unbelievable that you found your relative after being out of touch with each other for a long time, maybe over 70 years or so!

@kenichi さん、もし詳細な住所等の公にしたくない個人情報がおありの場合、Private Message を使ってPuroresuさんに直接連絡を取ることもできます。必要な場合は是非ご活用ください。
contact.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom