What's new

Get drunk, Teach Eikaiwa

Arutha ConDoin

Registered
22 Dec 2021
Having worked in Japan for 6 years, I understand the aspects of teaching at all levels and locations.

Rule #1- Only get a Work Visa, if you have already used the Working Holiday Visa.
The VISA is the leverage that English companies have over you. By having a working holiday Visa, that leverage they hold, is eliminated.
If you are on the Working Holiday, stay part time... you will make more money by doing this and paying your own medical insurance. Pick your hours, travel around, don't get held down by some company.

Rule #2- If you have the Work Visa, dictate your terms in the interview.
Japan are desperate for English teachers and the overall quality of your average English teacher is very low. If you are half decent, dictate your own terms. Most Eikaiwa post there job openings immediately after somebody has quit, and they usually need the replacement right away. Dont fall for the trick of Eikaiwa pretending they have staff option, THEY DO NOT, so dictate your terms in the interview. Maybe you only want a 3 month recurring contract. Most likely they will give it to you if you stick to your guns, if not, just get another Eikaiwa job because the are a dime a dozen. By doing this, you reduce the risk of getting contacted to a ****** company for a year.

excellent option, the best option. But lets be realistic, cause this country is full of 40+ men, still teaching Eikaiwa. And you will also need experience and qualifications on top of your Japanese proficiency.... so for this thread, lets keep it for newcomers to Japan

As far as age goes I even know people in upper 50s doing eikaiwa. One of which opened his own eikaiwa school. I would think 40+ year olds would not be newbies. Even if all you did is teach eikaiwa you can get some other jobs sometimes like in a bar and such and one will often have permanent residence, the 40+ eikaiwa people I know have that. If you network and work hard you can get something else even in your 40s but that does require some degree of Japanese. I met a guy who retired from it in Japan after like 40 years doing it and came back to the US and asked us to read hiragana, I cannot begin to imagine how much fun he missed out on by not knowing even basic Japanese.

On working holiday that does not work for every country for example the US.

Back
Top Bottom