What's new

Genki II Passive Sentence Help

ledojaeger

後輩
19 Jul 2015
I am currently working towards the end of the Genki II textbook on my own, having done everything else in it during college courses. I try to do the workbook pages, even if I don't yet have an answer key. In Chapter 21, I'm studying passive sentences, and wanted to see if I'm on the right track towards understanding.

The way the book teaches it is
Victim は/が Villain に Passive Verb.

There are two sentences to be rewritten using passive, and I was wondering if I'm correct.
Example: 私はよくクラスに遅刻するので、先生は怒ります。
My Fix: 私によくクラスに遅刻するので、先生は怒られます。

Example: よく兄が私の車を使うので、困っています。
My Fix: よく兄に私の車を使われるので、困っています。

Then, two sentences to translate that I was wondering about.
"Mr. Tanaka's mother often reads his diary (and he is not happy)." 田中さんのお母さんによく日記を読まれます。
"I had my purse stolen in the library." 図書館で私の鞄を盗まれました。(I was wondering about this one because of the lack of a 'villain' in the sentence, or if the passive verb makes it make sense in context).

For any help in understanding how to properly use the passive sentence, よろしくお願いします。

"Mr. Tanaka's mother often reads his diary (and he is not happy)." 田中さんのお母さんによく日記を読まれます。
日記 is interpreted as your (= the speaker's) diary in that sentence.
Who is "Victim"? He must be indicated by は/が as in the explanation.

"I had my purse stolen in the library." 図書館で私の鞄を盗まれました。(I was wondering about this one because of the lack of a 'villain' in the sentence, or if the passive verb makes it make sense in context).
You don't need to say 私の.
There is no problem with the lack of a "villain". It's often possible that who the villain is is uncertain in real life.

Thank you both for your help.

At first, I thought that perhaps 'I' am the villain of the sentence, since it's my being late that makes the teacher angry. I thought the teacher would have the right to be angry, making 'I' as the villain make sense - but I see it differently now.

As for the diary sentence, I see - that makes sense. And thank you for your correction on the purse sentence, too.

The very basic point you need to pay more attention than who the victim and/or villain is is that you are learning the passive sentence now. 遅刻する is not passive, right?;)
So, what is your final answers?

Ohh, I'm sorry I didn't correct it after that.

The new corrections:
私はよくクラスに遅刻するので、先生に怒られます。

田中さんはお母さんによく日記を読まれます。

図書館で鞄を盗まれました。

I hope I haven't missed the mark entirely with that first one entirely (遅刻される instead of 怒られる)
I'm grateful for all the help.

Phew! I was worried that I totally missed the mark for a second. 😅 Thanks so much for your help. I'm still new to the way of thinking that comes wrapped in passive grammar, so beyond the initial victim/villain concept, it'll take some getting used to.

Back
Top Bottom