What's new

FRIDAY THE 13th!

Clawn

The Wise *****
6 Feb 2005
I, personally, don't think anything of Friday the 13th, except that more people expect bad things to happen to them due to bad luck! Therefore, more people, expecting bad things to happen, cause bad things to happen!

So, what's your take on this ominous day? Is it really bad luck?

Happy Friday the 13th!

Today Was Ok , But......

Thursday the 12th got me and my wife in the form of a Kamakazi bicycle; he plowed into our car at about 25 miles an hour. Bike ruined, car dented and scratched; young guy, not a scratch on him?

Frank

😊

I have nothing with this day, except that they show all Horror movies on tv... WOEHOE... number 13 is my lucky number, and friday is the end of the week.. so im pretty happy on a day like this haha.

I thought it maybe would be nice to give some info about friday the 13th, because everybody knows its a bad luck day, but why and how:
Wiki said:
A Friday occurring on the 13th day of any month is considered to be a day of bad luck in many superstitions around the globe. Similar superstitions exist in some other traditions. In Greece and Spain, for example, Tuesday the 13th takes the same role. The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia, paraskevidekatriaphobia or friggatriskaidekaphobia, a specialized form of triskaidekaphobia, a phobia (fear) of the number thirteen.
Origins
The origin of the Friday the 13th superstition has been linked to the belief that there were 13 people at The Last Supper of Jesus, who was crucified on Good Friday, but it probably originated in medieval times. It has also been linked to the fact that a lunisolar calendar must have 13 months in some years, while the solar Gregorian calendar and lunar Islamic calendar always have 12 months in a year. Another suggestion is that the belief originated in a Norse myth about twelve gods having a feast in Valhalla. The mischievous Loki gate-crashed the party as an uninvited 13th guest and arranged for Hod, the blind god of darkness, to throw a branch of mistletoe at Balder, the god of joy and gladness. Balder was killed instantly and the Earth was plunged into darkness and mourning as a result. Both the first and last explanations, however, seem more relevant to the superstition linked to having 13 people at the same table during a meal.
Effects
Strangely, there is evidence to suggest that Friday the 13th is actually unlucky for some. Psychologists have found that some people are especially likely to have accidents or fall ill on Friday the 13th. This has been attributed to such people feeling a heightened state of anxiety on that day. The Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, North Carolina estimates that in the United States alone, $800 or $900 million is lost in business each Friday the 13th because some people will not travel or go to work. [1]
The date is also well-known in the motorcycle (biker) community: since 1981, motorcycle enthusiasts and vendors gather every Friday the 13th in Port Dover, Ontario, Canada. This tradition started on November 13, 1981 by Chris Simons as a gathering of approximately 25 friends. The event has grown substantially, with an estimated 100,000 people attending in August 2004, as well as music bands, vendors, a bike show, etc. [2]
In the Spanish-speaking world, it is Tuesday the 13th (as well as Tuesdays in general) that brings bad luck; a proverb runs En martes, ni te cases ni te embarques (on Tuesday, neither get married nor start a journey).
extra links:
How Friday the 13th Works
Why Is Friday the 13th Unlucky?
Humor & Whimsy
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/13may_2004mn4.htm

Nothing bad happened to me today! 😄 But i'm not superstisis ( sp ?! ) .. i didn't expect anything different.

The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia, paraskevidekatriaphobia or friggatriskaidekaphobia, a specialized form of triskaidekaphobia

What lovely words ! I'm going to practise them. By next Friday the 13th, maybe i will be able to say to someone, " do you have paraskavedekatriaphobia?" :D

since 1981, motorcycle enthusiasts and vendors gather every Friday the 13th in Port Dover, Ontario, Canada.

An "unlucky" day seems a bad day to chose to have a motorbike ride out :eek:

I had completely forgotten it was Friday the 13th until I looked at this very post. Weird.

Ah hah! Maybe it being Friday the 13th made me forget! ☝

Friday the 13th has turned my ordinarily mundane office existence into some sort of zany, let's-share-a-joke-with-our-sternass-boss, care so much about the project that I take a short lunch day. Why is this bad? Because now every other "normal" day will seem that much worse in comparison. :(

Plus I'm going to see some band tonight that could very well be emo...and that alone would be enough to ruin a drunken Hollywood night. :)

MeAndroo said:
Plus I'm going to see some band tonight that could very well be emo...and that alone would be enough to ruin a drunken Hollywood night. :)

I feel your pain on that one. :p

I'm not religious ... but I am afraid that I am superstitious!
Nothing green is worn or used in our home (except plants, grass ... the occasional long-lost steak in the freezer ... that sort of thing..)
No "13" is acceptable.
Friday the Thirteenth? Aaaargh!
I'm on holiday for a few days ... no work. No driving. Fingers crossed. So far, so good! Six hours to midnight.
ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

I didn't even notice!

Another theory about why it is considered unlucky, is that the Knight's Templar were arrested by Philip IV of France on Friday 13th October 1307.

When I used to be superstitious, 13 was my lucky number. I also made a point of walking under ladders, stepping on cracks in the pavement and things like that - attack is the best form of defence, something like that. Now I still touch wood and cross fingers, but it is out of habit.

Tsuyoiko said:
When I used to be superstitious, 13 was my lucky number. I also made a point of walking under ladders, stepping on cracks in the pavement and things like that - attack is the best form of defence, something like that. Now I still touch wood and cross fingers, but it is out of habit.

Now we know where it all went wrong😊

i heard of the superstision that you shouldnt sit 13 people for dinner. It happened to me once that i was on a vacation with my friends in a big house, and we had 13 of us for dinner. This was just before the weekend , when everything went horribly wrong, couple split up, i had to have stitches, and one of the guys collapsed at the wheel of his car on the way back home. O___O

Im still not superstisious though !!! :)

Well, even though Friday the 13th was payday for me, I did come down with some sort of bug early that night which left me sick as a dog straight through most of Saturday. So, maybe there's something to that old superstition after all!
:D

Back
Top Bottom