What's new

Forum update

BTW Thomas, I did not realize you were that big into cycling. Here is my ride.

Sweet ride, Dave! SRAM Force, and the S60s look great! Is that a size 54?

I saw you have already signed up over there, welcome to our local "chain gang". We have members in Kansai, too.

Thanks, it will be good to talk to others in Japan who ride, the conditions here are just so different. I will post up an introduction.

It could not hurt to move to MySQL 5.6.10 if you are doing a complete revamp.
Here are some of the fixes, MySQL 5.6.10 .

I am interested as to how you get on, please post updates.

Dave

Be careful, the was a point in the 5.x releases that broke some backwards compatibility that had to do with some older defaults using one of the Latin charsets instead of utf-8. This may or may not affect the forum DB as I know you needed to support Japanese and Chinese characters from the start. I would try the upgrade on a test server with a DB copy to see if it breaks anything.

Be careful, the was a point in the 5.x releases that broke some backwards compatibility that had to do with some older defaults using one of the Latin charsets instead of utf-8. This may or may not affect the forum DB as I know you needed to support Japanese and Chinese characters from the start. I would try the upgrade on a test server with a DB copy to see if it breaks anything.

Thanks for the heads-up! We've actually upgraded to 5.5.30, which is the latest version supported by WHM.

Our developer has just sent us v1 of the converted DB, will test it shortly and post updates.

Correct me if I am wrong but is the DB not MySQL (5.0.96)? These issues , if there were any should have been addressed already???

A little update: we succeeded in converting some of the problematic tables into utf8. The script written by our programmer still requires some a few adjustments, but I'm quite positive that a conversion is within the realms of possibility.

Correct me if I am wrong but is the DB not MySQL (5.0.96)? These issues , if there were any should have been addressed already???

I believe they were an issue within the 5.x releases. That said if the the forum is already at 5.5 then it doesn't matter as I know 5.5 was incompatible with those issues. They were either not present in the DB at all or must have been fixed a while back. My guess is they weren't an issue as those charsets would not have supported Japanese or Chinese characters anyway.

Back
Top Bottom