What's new

Forum Tags

Mikawa Ossan

いかんわ!
17 Sep 2005
Ever wonder how to do neat things like [pong]this[/pong] in your posts?

It's done through something called "tags."

Tags are based on HTML language, so if you've ever designed a website, you'll find them very easy to use. Even if you have no idea what I'm talking about, they are quite simple to use.

To begin, let's see how I did that trick in the beginning of this post.

When I was typing this post, all I did was type the following:
Code:
[noparse]Ever wonder how to do neat things like [pong]this[/pong] in your posts?[/noparse]
Notice how there is a [noparse][pong][/pong][/noparse] around "this". That tells the forum to format the text between them. How the text is formatted is determined by what you put in the []. In my example so far, it says "pong", so the text moves left and right like a ping pong ball.

If you change the "pong" to something else, you change how the text is formatted. For example if you replace "pong" with "size" like this:
Code:
[noparse]Ever wonder how to do neat things like [size=6]this[/size] in your posts?[/noparse]
the following happens:
Ever wonder how to do neat things like this in your posts?

Notice how the size of "this" changed. In the [noparse][/noparse] there is something new, namely the "=6". All this does is tell the forum what size you want the text to become. "1" is small, and as the number gets bigger, so does the text!

This is size 1.
This is size 2.
This is size 3.
This is size 4.
This is size 5.
This is size 6.

Keep in mind that tags need to come in sets.
Code:
[noparse][pong][/pong]
[size=1][/size]
[size=6][/size][/noparse]
The first part, or the [] part, tells the forum where to start the formatting. The second part, or the [/]part, tells the forum where to end the formatting. That means that anything between the two will have the formatting applied to it.

Notice that this means that you can use multiple tags on the same text!
Code:
[noparse][pong][size=6]Wow!  Look at me![/size][/pong][/noparse]
[pong]Wow! Look at me![/pong]
Click here to see a list of all the neat things you can do.
And here are a few that didn't make the list!

I hope this introduction to the forum tags was usefull, and have fun formatting away!

[pong][highlight]Great Informative Post[/highlight][/pong]

Thank you😌

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom