What's new

News Foreign residents to change or renew visa online


Unswerving cyclist
14 Mar 2002
Good news for foreign residents of Japan: no need anymore to spend half a day at the Immigration Centre!

I just hope it won't be tied to the My Number card...

Under the new system starting in April, foreign nationals living in Japan will be able to apply for status changes using a computer or smartphone. To confirm their identification, applicants will be required to enter their residence card number and take additional steps to prevent fraudulent applications, though details have yet to be determined. The ministry also envisions a new system requiring applicants to provide electronic forms of documents showing that they meet the conditions of the residency status they apply for, such as employment contracts or official documents showing marital relationship with a Japanese citizen.
Top Bottom