What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Flag Translation Assistance Please

Boongie

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hello. I saw this flag recently. I would appreciate any feedback as to its authenticity and any translation assistance. I do not have any pictures of the reverse side but I can obtain them in a few days.
Thank you very much.
Steve

Attachments

• Signed Flag 1.jpeg
    Signed Flag 1.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Signed Flag 2.jpeg
    Signed Flag 2.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Signed Flag 3.jpeg
    Signed Flag 3.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Signed Flag 4.jpeg
    Signed Flag 4.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Signed Flag 5.jpeg
    Signed Flag 5.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 55

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
It's hard to say. It certainly is a flag that is signed with a bunch of names. As to whether it is from 1940, 1990, or 2015, I can't say. It doesn't have any of the patriotic slogans from the WW2 era. It doesn't have any indicator of who presented it, or to whom it was presented. It's just a flag full of names.

Boongie

Kouhai
Reaction score
It's hard to say. It certainly is a flag that is signed with a bunch of names. As to whether it is from 1940, 1990, or 2015, I can't say. It doesn't have any of the patriotic slogans from the WW2 era. It doesn't have any indicator of who presented it, or to whom it was presented. It's just a flag full of names.
Thank you for your feedback. It is much appreciated. I was told that these symbols: '必勝' are on the flag and translate to "certain victory". Would you recommend that I not consider obtaining this flag?

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
必勝 is on the flag, and yes it means certain victory. There are also the words 寿 and 吉, both which mean "good luck" more or less.
These random words do nothing to make this flag into an authentic WW2 item. In fact, they feel kind of weak. It's like if I posted an American flag with the word "fight" written on it and claimed it was a WW2 item because of this word... It really doesn't mean anything. Usually you have one or two very prominent patriotic phrases, and ideally you have the name of the giver and of the receiver. From there you can take a guess at authenticity, but even then it is often just a guess. One thing that makes flags look suspicious is a bunch of names written with the same brush. Or names that use characters that aren't typically used in Japan. Or flags with weird symmetry in the names.

The flag you posted is just full of names, and one or two random words. If you are looking for a Japanese flag with names on it, this is a good one. If you are looking for an authentic bit of WW2 militaria, its hard to recommend this one.

Boongie

Kouhai
Reaction score
必勝 is on the flag, and yes it means certain victory. There are also the words 寿 and 吉, both which mean "good luck" more or less.
These random words do nothing to make this flag into an authentic WW2 item. In fact, they feel kind of weak. It's like if I posted an American flag with the word "fight" written on it and claimed it was a WW2 item because of this word... It really doesn't mean anything. Usually you have one or two very prominent patriotic phrases, and ideally you have the name of the giver and of the receiver. From there you can take a guess at authenticity, but even then it is often just a guess. One thing that makes flags look suspicious is a bunch of names written with the same brush. Or names that use characters that aren't typically used in Japan. Or flags with weird symmetry in the names.

The flag you posted is just full of names, and one or two random words. If you are looking for a Japanese flag with names on it, this is a good one. If you are looking for an authentic bit of WW2 militaria, its hard to recommend this one.
Thank you for the feedback.

Top Bottom