What's new

Fish!

Spaceghost

Baka
5 Jun 2004
As I'm sure we all know, the Japanese eat alot of fish. This is a concern to me as I want to join JET.

I've tried fish lots of times, fish & chips, fish fingers....ok maybe not that often, but the smell puts me off, the taste is not the nicest, but edible. Ofteb my dad would have fish for dinner, and just cook a whole fish, fish are ugly, that puts me off.

I am also not a big fan of cold food, I won't even eat a sandwich, as sushi is raw and fish, this is a problem!

Buddha Smoker posted a picture in his journal of "snacks" in bars....they were small whole fish! I would prefer nuts and crisps (chips) as my bar snack.

I have never actually tried sushi though so I don't know.

I know sushi is not always made of fish, there are other meat versions or vegitables, I was always under the impression it is made to eat raw meat, which is why we cook it...

Guess I will have to live off Japanese curry and ramen instead heh.

You will run into your fair share of fish on JET, much more of it if you eat in the school cafeterias (we are having fish today as a matter of fact). But there are hundreds of dishes that don't use fish, and many more that don't use whole fish but are in some way fish related.

You won't have to live off ramen and curry alone (that stuff will send you to an early grave - it is only a step or two above eatting at McD's) since you will probably be making your own meals at home most all the time. Then you have full control over what does and does not cross your plate.

Don't let the whole fish thing keep you off JET! You won't know until you try most of the stuff, and others are aquired tastes. I wasn't a big fan of seafood either and I still am not, but I now know that some of it is really good, though I have my limits. There are plenty of fish that don't have strong sea tastes (and even some shellfish too).

Spaceghost said:
As I'm sure we all know, the Japanese eat alot of fish. This is a concern to me as I want to join JET.

I've tried fish lots of times, fish & chips, fish fingers....ok maybe not that often, but the smell puts me off, the taste is not the nicest, but edible. Ofteb my dad would have fish for dinner, and just cook a whole fish, fish are ugly, that puts me off.

I am also not a big fan of cold food, I won't even eat a sandwich, as sushi is raw and fish, this is a problem!

Buddha Smoker posted a picture in his journal of "snacks" in bars....they were small whole fish! I would prefer nuts and crisps (chips) as my bar snack.

I have never actually tried sushi though so I don't know.

I know sushi is not always made of fish, there are other meat versions or vegitables, I was always under the impression it is made to eat raw meat, which is why we cook it...

Guess I will have to live off Japanese curry and ramen instead heh.

I'm surprized so many people have been looking through my journal. Anyway, there are a million opportunies other than fish. It's not something that I would worry about too much, honestly. Don't let the fish scare you away from a good chance or doing something that you might love. 🙂

Daniel said:
You will just have to grow up and stop being such a picky eater. Are you a child?

No, I am not a child, yes I am a picky eater. Everyone has something they don't like for one reason or another, it is just unfortunate that the thing I don't like happens to be a main staple of the country I wish to live in.

I don't see what is wrong with being a picky eater, why should I force myself to eat something I don't like? If I ever get stranded on a desert island, then I won't have that luxury, but until then, I intend to take advantage of it.

I also don't like beer, does that make me a girl?

I will try everything at least once, although I still don't know if I want to eat one of these: http://buddha-smoker.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Pictures/Fishhead 1.JPG

Spaceghost said:
No, I am not a child, yes I am a picky eater. Everyone has something they don't like for one reason or another, it is just unfortunate that the thing I don't like happens to be a main staple of the country I wish to live in.

I don't see what is wrong with being a picky eater, why should I force myself to eat something I don't like? If I ever get stranded on a desert island, then I won't have that luxury, but until then, I intend to take advantage of it.

I also don't like beer, does that make me a girl?

I will try everything at least once, although I still don't know if I want to eat one of these: http://buddha-smoker.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Pictures/Fishhead 1.JPG

Everybody has different tastes. After all you are the one that will be eating or not eating. Please ignore comments like below..there's no reason to even get a chance to start an argument. Anyway, like I said, there are lots of other choices beside fish :p

I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was seriously asking if Spaceghost was a child. Forgive my rudeness. It is just that I believe that picky eating is something one should grow out of..but hey, that's just my opinion.

Spaceghost, i dont like fish, horrible stuff. But the way its cooked in japan its unrecognizable as fish. Plenty things use beef, pork, chicken so its a non-issue really.

And like twisted mac said, yes, you are a girl. HOLD HIM DOWN, I'LL GET THE FUNNEL! :D

Hah!

I wish I did like beer! I try to drink it quite often but I just don't like it, maybe Japanese beer is nicer! Otherwise I guess I'll stick to the spirits.

Daniel said:
I wasn't trying to start an argument, I was seriously asking if Spaceghost was a child. Forgive my rudeness. It is just that I believe that picky eating is something one should grow out of..but hey, that's just my opinion.

No prob. I just wanted to stop one just in case it was heading in that direction. 🙂

Spaceghost, you're not the only one who doesn't like beer. I hate beer. Kirin Ichiban is tolerable for me, though. You might think it's okay. It's worth a try, anyway.

I don't know if you are familiar with FHM, its a men's magazine, they went around the world to find the best beers, and kirin ichiban was no. 2 in the world.

I wanted to try some, but I can't find any (in the UK, and obviously they don't have it on tap here).

I think I'll start another thread about this as this is about fish heh.

Spaceghost said:
I don't know if you are familiar with FHM, its a men's magazine, they went around the world to find the best beers, and kirin ichiban was no. 2 in the world.

I wanted to try some, but I can't find any (in the UK, and obviously they don't have it on tap here).

I think I'll start another thread about this as this is about fish heh.

Just remember that fish and beer just don't mix sometimes. :D

Back
Top Bottom