What's new

Finding Work (as an English Teacher) in Kyushu (I live in Tokyo currently).

A7mouse

先輩
18 May 2006
Hey everyone,

My wife, daughter and I recently moved to Japan and I'm looking for work as an English teacher. Right now, we're staying with my in-laws in Tokyo, but we'd like to move to Kyushu (particularly Miyazaki but...) in the near future.
[edit: to clarify: "near future" as in "we'd like to asap, but if we have to we can wait a year or two"]

And the trickier part: I don't have a Bachelor's.

(1) How should I go about finding job vacancies in Kyushu? I can travel to check out opportunities, but it's pretty expensive to go back and forth. I could only find information/job ads for ECC, GEOS, NOVA, and an ALT placement company or two.

(2) Would it be harder, easier or the same to find jobs in Kyushu rather than Kanto without a degree?

I tutored Japanese exchange students at university in the U.S. for 3 years (though I wonder if that experience will be very useful in this environment). And also volunteered for a short while at a kindergarten, and I love children, but when an internet job ads says as a requirement "loves children", the scenario that runs through my mind is more like: "Do you love your daughter?" "It depends... what did she break?" 😌

Anyway, I would be really greatful for any advice you could give me on this!

Thanks for your time,
a7mouse

If you have a valid working visa (which I suppose you have, spouse visa right?), then you can start applying where ever you want. Might be best to get started somewhere in Kanto, look out for positions you want in Kyushu, and move out there when the chance arises.

You can work at any job with a spouse visa, providing that the employer thinks you are qualified. It is up to the employer to decide whether he wants teachers with degrees.

There aren't many jobs posted for Kyushu on the Internet. You will have to search VERY thoroughly to find them. Otherwise, just go to Fukuoka and drop by the international center (whatever is its name) in person.

EVERYTHING related to teaching is relevant! Since you actually tutored JAPANESE students, that is better than having tutored Mexicans, for example. PUT IT ON THE RESUME.

If you hadn't had a spouse visa, it would have been nearly impossible for you to find work, as a first degree is a minimum requirement for the working visa.

As it is, start with Glenski's suggestion. It's been a few years, but I'm practically sure it's on Watanabe-dori, one of the major shopping arteries in Fukuoka. When you do find the building, it's on the 8th floor.

If you can't get the name of the building in Fukuoka, stop by any of the bars with large expat patronage, including one called the Happy ****, near Meiji-dori ... better yet, look in Fukuoka Now magazine. Google it, it's now online.

Please forgive me! That really is the name of the place, nothing bad intended. I certainly want to start off on the right foot! ;-o Any expat living in Fukuoka would know it.

Anyway, definitely google Fukuoka Now because the online version of their magazine has a generous section on Kyushu and English teaching.

The Fukuoka International Center is called the "Rainbow Plaza" and its located in the IMS building. I forgot what floor it's on. Also check fukuoka-now dot com

Back
Top Bottom