What's new

Finding part-time job in Tokyo.

Jaymie

後輩
15 Mar 2009
Hi all!!

I'm 19 and have been in Japan for the past 5 months studying in a Language school. I'm a english native speaker and am also fluent in Mandarin by roots. I speak pretty basic Japanese and have been trying to look for a part time job to no avail. I have a valid work permit and everything else required and despite my persistent efforts in calling up all sorts of places. They all said 'ippai desu'.. I prolly called about 50 places all in all and really cannot understand if its fully hired then why bother sticking the poster outside the shop then... and my phone bill...><

Urghhh..in fact for the past months I have been going to job agencies, checking forums and various websites.. you name it I've prolly been there.

I'm desperate for a job!!!!! I feel that my Japanese would benefit from getting a job here rather than all the textbook cramming.

I've also registered myself on tutor sites teaching english and the infrequent lessons really make me DEPRESSSSSSSS!

Anyways I sure hope that somebody can help point me in the right direction..I'm looking at a bleak path ahead and really I dont want to wait until my Japanese level to be realllly good..by then it would be quite pointless and I'd prolly be heading elsewhere already.. :(

I do feel really sad and moppy and unmotivated to stay in Japan anymore.. its like the magic is gone and fading.. =x

anyways
cheers!

#1, your Japanese benefitting is totally unrelated to any employer here. They don't pay you to learn the local language. They pay you to work at a job.

#2, You're only 19. Since you're (probably) on a student visa, you can only work part-time. There should be quite a lot of them, but your age will work against you.

#3, I'm confused about your nationality. How can you be a native English speaker and speak fluent Mandarin "by roots". Dual nationality somehow?

#4, with poor Japanese language ability, your chances of finding work that is not for teaching positions are extremely small.

#5, Please realize that the market is truly flooded with teacher here (truly "ippai desu"). It's going to take quite a bit to beat your competition, and not all employers sponsor work visas. Keep slugging it out, but don't count on much.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I'm Singaporean chinese, hence the billingual ability. Currently here on a pre-college visa with a valid working permit, I do understand your #1, I just felt that instead of getting a typical english teaching job here I'd benefit more if I found a job in a Japanese speaking environment. I am definitely not looking for a teacher job, places I called include izakayas and more izakayas. I guess my level of Japanese is not good enough (serve customers), though I can hold a decent phone convo now. I guess my age has something to do with it as well, since my classmates in their late 20s who speak even crappier Japanese than I do found jobs already! =( Thanks anyway!

part-time jobs in restaurants conbini or whichever places that hire gaijins I guess.

Drinking age in Japan is 20, so you're not even old enough to serve drinks. I'd say the 2 things holding you back from general jobs are your age and level of Japanese. Put yourself in their place. If a Japanese went to Singapore and could barely speak, how would you consider them seriously for work, especially when it came to dealing with customers?

hey dude im in the same situation as you lol.im also 19, (turning 20 this november). im going to japan today and am going to rent a house there..
im also going to find a parttime there. im japanese in nationality, but my jap aint that impressive because i have studied in singapore for more than 10 years and i can also speak fluent english, chinese and cantonese.
whered u stay? maybe we can meet up :)

kensaurus,
Please don't use "jap". Internet-ese just isn't cool when you use it that way. It's still an insulting word, and you of all people ought to realize that.

Thanks.

its not. im a JAP myself.u guys think is degrogatry. anyway im out from this forum. u guys dont really know much about japan anyway.

and the answers u all give to people's questions are real damn lame. not really constructive. i rather them call the japan embassy to find out.

Last edited:
its not. im a JAP myself.u guys think is degrogatry. anyway im out from this forum. u guys dont really know much about japan anyway.

and the answers u all give to people's questions are real damn lame. not really constructive. i rather them call the japan embassy to find out.

As a japanese person who was born and bred in Japan, I ask you NOT to use the word "jap".
It is very insulting.:auch:
And your statement makes me wonder how much you know/understand Japan...

it might be demeaning 5 years ago. im in japan fyi lame.
Regardless of your ancestry and where you are now, you don't seem to understand the perspective of the Japanese who were born and grew up here.

Also, please correct your geographical location if you moved from Singapore to Japan.

Yeah, no fights...

Anyways, for jobs...I wouldn't do izakayas because of your age and your limited language skill. sometimes, people ask you stuff and you'd want to be able to answer....
If your mandarin is good, why not teach chinese? is there too many chinese teachers too?

the economy is sooo bad so jobs are definitely scarce. is an unpaid job a possibility? like to volunteer for npos and ngos? that will definitely be a great japanese learning place...

First off, if you shouldn't be in japan if you have money problems. You'll just make yourself sick.
Second, if you want to force yourself to learn japanese, try to get 101 friends with in 3 months. 僕はそのことをとても難しいだよ。皆シアイだから。 You main goal here, is to stay outside and use the language. If you ask(in social settings?) to chat with someone, mostly they'll say はい。And there you go a friend right there.
Remember: study, listen, then repeat what your hear.

If you get to know enough people in japan, then you should be able to network to get a really good job.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I'm Singaporean chinese, hence the billingual ability. Currently here on a pre-college visa with a valid working permit, I do understand your #1, I just felt that instead of getting a typical english teaching job here I'd benefit more if I found a job in a Japanese speaking environment. I am definitely not looking for a teacher job, places I called include izakayas and more izakayas. I guess my level of Japanese is not good enough (serve customers), though I can hold a decent phone convo now. I guess my age has something to do with it as well, since my classmates in their late 20s who speak even crappier Japanese than I do found jobs already! =( Thanks anyway!

I wonder if it would be harder for you to get a job as an English teacher because you are Asian. By the way, I have been to Singapore before. I was amazed that you people actually speak English even amongst each other more so than people do in Richmond, BC Canada. Maybe you should come to Richmond, BC and teach Chinese people English. Your bilingual services will help you earn more money. During recessionary times like this, you need to maximize the skills that you do have. Don't sell yourself short in Japan taking on meager jobs.

I wonder if it would be harder for you to get a job as an English teacher because you are Asian.
Only slightly. It's moot anyway, because he doesn't want to teach.

Maybe you should come to Richmond, BC and teach Chinese people English. Your bilingual services will help you earn more money. During recessionary times like this, you need to maximize the skills that you do have. Don't sell yourself short in Japan taking on meager jobs.
"Meager jobs"? He's 19 years old! What else is there?

Oh really homie? I think you are just a troll. I have never heard a Japanese write like that, yo. I think you are just a homie with not a trace of Japanese blood in your veins. So you spent 10 years in Singapore, meaning you stayed until you are 9 in Japan? You would have at least grade 4 language skills. And a native Japanese speaker should learn much faster than I could. Then, let's see. I am not Japanese, but if you say you are, 窶堋ッ窶堙ア窶堋ウ窶堙アツ、窶ケM窶「テサ窶怒窶懌?凪?堙俄?愿コ窶怒ツ人窶堙??堋キ窶堋ゥツ、ヒ?ォ窶堋「窶堋ッ窶堙ェ窶堙??堙?窶怒窶懌?凪?堙俄?愿コ窶怒ツ人窶堋セ窶堙≫?堋ス窶堙ァ窶堋サ窶堙ア窶堙遺?罵窶堙俄?ーテッヒ彙窶堙ー窶堋オ窶堙遺?堋「窶堙?スv窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ。窶愿コ窶怒ツ人窶堙??堙?窶堙≫?堙??氾ァ窶ケVツ青ウ窶堋オ窶堋「窶堋オツ、窶堋ア窶堙ア窶堙遺?凖。窶伉ュ窶廬窶堙遺?罵窶堙俄?「\ナ陳サ窶堋オ窶堙懌?堋ケ窶堙ア窶堙?スv窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ。窶堋サ窶堋オ窶堙?、窶ケM窶「テサ窶堙坂?怒窶懌?凪?堙俄?愿コ窶怒ツ人窶堋セ窶堙≫?堋ス窶堙ァツ、窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堙??斗窶堙娯?「ツカツ湘坂?堙俄?愬。窶堋ヲ窶堙??堋ュ窶堋セ窶堋ウ窶堋「ツ。
窶ケM窶「テサ窶堙坂?愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堋ェ窶愿コ窶怒ツ人窶堙固?テョツ鞘ぎ窶堙??堙坂?ーツコナスティ窶堋セ窶堙??ケテや?堙≫?堙??堋「窶堙ゥ窶堋ッ窶堙ェ窶堙??堙?ツ、窶斗窶堙ヲ窶堙ィ窶堋ゥ窶ーツコナスティ窶堙遺?堙坂?堙??堙坂?督ウ窶堋「窶堙?スv窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ。
And those poor writing skills does not appear to be someone who is ESL, but rather someone who is just a plain old uneducated homeboy born and raised in the USA. If you really spent time in Singapore, you would not have forgotten your Kanji either. You should be able to learn Japanese to JLPT level 1 in 3 months. But you might have to take Nikyu in Nihongo Kentei being Japanese. I know I am sounding a bit harsh, but you do realize that a Japanese returnee you will be dealt with the most severely amongst the Japanese population with respect to ナ遅ナ津ャツ、窶怒窶ーツケ窶堙?椎。窶楼ツ、窶堙??愿コ窶怒ナ津ェツ。As for me, I could excuse myself being just gaijin, but you sir will have to learn Japanese enough to be editing my sentences that I have on the nihongo section.
I hope I didn't misrepresent what I think Japanese people expect from their own. This is my impression, and information gathered from others who I went to school with. I just suspect he is a troll so I put this out here as a response.

Oh really homie? I think you are just a troll. I have never heard a Japanese write like that, yo. I think you are just a homie with not a trace of Japanese blood in your veins. So you spent 10 years in Singapore, meaning you stayed until you are 9 in Japan? You would have at least grade 4 language skills. And a native Japanese speaker should learn much faster than I could. Then, let's see. I am not Japanese, but if you say you are, 窶堋ッ窶堙ア窶堋ウ窶堙アツ、窶ケM窶「テサ窶怒窶懌?凪?堙俄?愿コ窶怒ツ人窶堙??堋キ窶堋ゥツ、ヒ?ォ窶堋「窶堋ッ窶堙ェ窶堙??堙?窶怒窶懌?凪?堙俄?愿コ窶怒ツ人窶堋セ窶堙≫?堋ス窶堙ァ窶堋サ窶堙ア窶堙遺?罵窶堙俄?ーテッヒ彙窶堙ー窶堋オ窶堙遺?堋「窶堙?スv窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ。窶愿コ窶怒ツ人窶堙??堙?窶堙≫?堙??氾ァ窶ケVツ青ウ窶堋オ窶堋「窶堋オツ、窶堋ア窶堙ア窶堙遺?凖。窶伉ュ窶廬窶堙遺?罵窶堙俄?「\ナ陳サ窶堋オ窶堙懌?堋ケ窶堙ア窶堙?スv窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ。窶堋サ窶堋オ窶堙?、窶ケM窶「テサ窶堙坂?怒窶懌?凪?堙俄?愿コ窶怒ツ人窶堋セ窶堙≫?堋ス窶堙ァツ、窶愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堙??斗窶堙娯?「ツカツ湘坂?堙俄?愬。窶堋ヲ窶堙??堋ュ窶堋セ窶堋ウ窶堋「ツ。
窶ケM窶「テサ窶堙坂?愿コ窶怒ナ津ェ窶堋ェ窶愿コ窶怒ツ人窶堙固?テョツ鞘ぎ窶堙??堙坂?ーツコナスティ窶堋セ窶堙??ケテや?堙≫?堙??堋「窶堙ゥ窶堋ッ窶堙ェ窶堙??堙?ツ、窶斗窶堙ヲ窶堙ィ窶堋ゥ窶ーツコナスティ窶堙遺?堙坂?堙??堙坂?督ウ窶堋「窶堙?スv窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ。
Japanese people or those of Japanese ancestry aren't capable of being jerks?

And those poor writing skills does not appear to be someone who is ESL, but rather someone who is just a plain old uneducated homeboy born and raised in the USA. If you really spent time in Singapore, you would not have forgotten your Kanji either. You should be able to learn Japanese to JLPT level 1 in 3 months.
...!?

But you might have to take Nikyu in Nihongo Kentei being Japanese. I know I am sounding a bit harsh, but you do realize that a Japanese returnee you will be dealt with the most severely amongst the Japanese population with respect to ナ遅ナ津ャツ、窶怒窶ーツケ窶堙?椎。窶楼ツ、窶堙??愿コ窶怒ナ津ェツ。
Do you mean ナ檀ナ津ェ?

I hope I didn't misrepresent what I think Japanese people expect from their own. This is my impression, and information gathered from others who I went to school with. I just suspect he is a troll so I put this out here as a response.
I think it's just as likely that he was honest about looking for part-time work, but he's just a jerk that didn't like the responses he got. Not that it matters, as he's left the board anyways.

Japanese people or those of Japanese ancestry aren't capable of being jerks?
...!?
Do you mean 敬語?
I think it's just as likely that he was honest about looking for part-time work, but he's just a jerk that didn't like the responses he got. Not that it matters, as he's left the board anyways.

I guess the word keigo would have been more appropriate there. Yes. But I think he was not honest about anything. But I do agree with you nice gaijin that he is not Japanese in any way shape or form. I truly think he was just a homie who was just being a TROLL. He's probably an American backpaker who is travelling around Malaysia.

I guess the word keigo would have been more appropriate there. Yes. But I think he was not honest about anything. But I do agree with you nice gaijin that he is not Japanese in any way shape or form. I truly think he was just a homie who was just being a TROLL. He's probably an American backpaker who is travelling around Malaysia.
I'm not sure where you got this... I meant that he's just as likely of Japanese heritage as any other, it doesn't make sense to make that part up if you're truly looking for advice. What does an American backpacker in Malaysia have to do with anything?

Back
Top Bottom