What's new

Help Finding English master's programs in Japan

haigesa

Registered
30 Jul 2021
Greetings to everyone. I'm a recent English Translation and Interpretation graduate. I'm a non-native English speaker and I graduated university with a 3.23/4.00 CGPA. I have some work experience in translation and English teaching, around 6 months in total. I have a Toefl Ibt score of 105. I am planning to apply for master's programs in Japan in English Studies / English Literature / English Language Teaching / Linguistics. I have 2 questions in mind regarding my situation.

1. I want to study in Japan because I want to become an English teacher in Japan after my studies. However, I don't prefer to work at an eikaiwa as the industry has many downsides, from low pay to low prestige. I'd rather work at a primary school, high school or university preparatory classes. Is it possible to do that after acquiring a master's degree in aforementioned courses, and finishing it with high grades? Or am I simply doomed with the exploitative eikaiwas as I'm not from an English speaking country?

2. How can I find the programs where the language of instruction is English? Obviously the top universities have programs in English but I'm aware that my chances are low for them regarding my relatively low CGPA. So I plan going for lower ranked / mid-range universities to boost my chances. But I'm having a hard time finding the application instructions etc. in the English versions of the university websites. So I'd appreciate if you have any suggestions regarding this case.

Thank you in advance :)

Welcome to the forum. I don't have any answers for your second question, but there is a third way, and that is to teach as an assistant language teacher (ALT) in a school. Some of the ALT dispatch companies have a bad reputation for being exploitative and the pay isn't good but at least you are in a school, which is perhaps more marketable to you in future than teaching 'conversation'. Similarly to eikaiwa, the fact that you are not from an English country (and I could never have guessed from your excellent use of English!) will not be an issue - my kid at the local Japanese elementary school has a Filipino English teacher. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom